New API To Retrieve Customer Account Activation URLs

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
15 0 4

Today we disabled the bulk customer invite functionality in Shopify admin. You can still send customer invites individually through the admin; however if you need to invite customers in bulk then you must send the account emails yourself. The newly introduced API allows an app to retrieve the account activation URL for a customer. Using this URL customers can enable their accounts on a shop. Once you've collected the activation URLs for the customers you want to invite, you can send them these links via email.

The new account_activation_url responds to POSTs with a JSON response with the full account_activation_url for a customer:

POST /admin/customers/:id/account_activation_url.json
{ "account_activation_url": "http://my-shop.myshopify.com/account/activate/1/897c0c1b8397eabf7dbf9a482a128fdd-1448482577" }

Please note that you will only be able to retrieve the account activation URL for disabled or already invited customers. If you try to obtain the URL for an active customer, the API will respond with HTTP 422 - unprocessable entity:

{ "errors": [ "account already active" ] }

Find more details on the new endpoint in the API documentation.

Jakob Külzer, Shopify API Team
2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 4

Thanks for the way-too-advance notification! 

Can you please provide more documentation about this?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
15 0 4

Hello,

Absolutely. What specifically do you want do know about that's not documented in the API docs

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 4

Detailed screenshots/documentation of the whole process i.e., where do i start, step by step instructions, testing environment and finally to the actual live process.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
15 0 4

Take a look at Build an app which will guide you through setting up an app. Might be easiest to start with a private app. And finally, the Customer API will allow you to query for customers and their account activation URL. Generally, you should find everything you need in the API Documentation.

Hope that helps. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 4

This is beyond ridiculous.  We just moved over from another platform and have over 14k customer accounts that need to receive invites.  Customers are struggling to figure out what to do because their passwords don't work and then if they click forgot password it tells them they don't have an account.  Some of them have left out of frustration and purchased elsewhere.

Now we don't even have a way to send out a bulk invite to each of them.  Clicking this one by one is not an option unless Shopify wants to lend me the staff to do the work.  It would be nice if Shopify would take larger customers into consideration when they make decisions.  Not every store has 500 customers and 125 sku's....

4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
11 0 2

I'll aslo add my very frustrated voice to this thread - I am furious about this decision - together with a client, we spent hours preparing our invite template in preparation to send out invites to their customer base, only to learn the day before that this valuable feature had been discontinued, and with no advance warning!

We now have to spend MANY hours more, either LEARNING THE API or DEVELOPING OUR OWN F@(#^$ APP, or  trying to retireve activation URLs for every customer so that we can add them into the client's newsletter/marketing system in order to push out the invites as some kind of workaround, as suggested by the "support" team!!

Honestly, this is utterly appalling - I am at risk of losing the client over this! 

We have essentially been shoved out into the cold with this decision - we have now passed our deadline and I look like a chump as the developer for recommending Shopify to manage this customer invite process.

For the love of our sanity, PLEASE REINSTATE THE BULK INVITE FACILITIY!!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
11 0 2

I'll also add my very frustrated voice to this thread - I am furious about this decision - together with a client, we spent hours preparing our invite template in preparation to send out invites to their customer base, only to learn the day before that this valuable feature had been discontinued, and with no advance warning!

We now have to spend MANY hours more, either LEARNING THE API or DEVELOPING OUR OWN F@(#^$ APP, or  trying to retireve activation URLs for every customer so that we can add them into the client's newsletter/marketing system in order to push out the invites as some kind of workaround, as suggested by the "support" team!!

Honestly, this is utterly appalling - I am at risk of losing the client over this! 

We have essentially been shoved out into the cold with this decision - we have now passed our deadline and I look like a chump as the developer for recommending Shopify to manage this customer invite process.

For the love of our sanity, PLEASE REINSTATE THE BULK INVITE FACILITIY!!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 2

Paul, do you have either encrypted or cleartext version of your customers' credentials from your previous platform?

I can help you at leaste get activation emails out to those users.

It is also possible to intercept a login attempt by a user, recignize that they have a disabled account, and direct them back to their inbox with a fresh activation email being sent to them.

In a perfect world you would have access to passwords from your previous platform and I could help you migrate those over to your current shopify user account, having all those account activated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 4

@Paul - this is exactly our nightmare.  We are still in limbo up to this point, now looking into other venues of how to reach out to our customers.  This feature of shopify was one of the main reason why we decided to transfer our store. We have 40k+ in our lists, what should we do?

Even the feature of sending out a customized HTML have been turned off.  Email invite should only be sent as text. Really? Seriously? Talking about marketing here...

Shopify have been passive about this - "look for third party app, look for shopify expert" basically adding extra monthly fees, extra cost in hiring an expert. 

Totally frustrated.

1 Like