[New Partner Beta] Selling in Multiple Currencies with Shopify Payments: What this Means for App Developers

Shopify Partner
660 0 104

Well done Shopify, this is a very welcome addition!

I have a few questions after reading the docs / guides.

1) Beside the facts that they don't exactly have the same properties, is there a difference between using the existing Transaction endpoint with in_shop_currency=1 and using the new TenderTransaction endpoint?

I guess I don't quite see the point of the new endpoint if we can get the same thing with the existing endpoint.

2) Currencies.json: I don't see a rate property. Is this by design?

3) Refunds. This one confused me the most.

When fetching a refund, are the amounts in the presentment or shop currency?

Does it depend on which property we are looking at? (orded_adjustments vs refund_line_items vs transactions)

In the example in the guide, it seems that the amount are in the presentment currency, but that seems inconsistent since the order's line items are in the shop's currency. Unless a refund's refund_line_items and order's line_items are not treated the same?

0 Likes
Excursionist
18 0 18

100% multi-currency support should be a standard feature. 

Don't give lower end merchants a reason to leave/avoid Shopify's platform. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
12 0 0

Code Black Belt, 

For the shop currency we use the currency formatting setting, when other currencies are selected we use our formatting for those currencies as part of the liquid drops. Let us know once you've had a chance to play around if we're missing something that impacts your ability to provide the experiences you're looking for.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
12 0 0

HunkyBill, 

I see what you mean in terms of the price input experience, I personally don't have a lot of context on the history there. I suspect it's something related to how different currencies use periods and commas to indicate different things.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
12 0 0

Ralph, 

If you're referring to Refunds and Transactions, we have made changes there and are asking api users to be explicit about the currency used in those POST requests.

Refunds Transactions are links to the Migration guide with some examples in REST and GraphQL

Let me know if you meant something different.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
76 1 11

Hi David,

How do I get the refund amount in shop currency, it looks like the refund resoource contains only refund amount in presentmend currency.

SimplyCost - Add costs and track profit (https://apps.shopify.com/simplycost)
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
12 0 0

Clement, 

I'll answer a couple of your questions now. 

2) For currencies, we don't include the rates, because we want partners to leverage the Product and Product Variant APIs to grab the prices for products rather than trying to reverse engineer them. This will allow us to iterate on the pricing formula without breaking the ecosystem.

3) For Orders, you'll notice that there is a price_set included for all the various types of line items. You can choose from that set which you'd prefer for your particular integration, either presentment or shop.

For GET requests on Refunds those will be in presentment_currency.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
660 0 104

Thanks David but if I do a GET on a order and I inspect the order.refunds.refund_line_items, those will be in presentment_currency too?

That would mean that order.line_items and order.refunds.refund_line_items are expressed in differency currencies?!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
12 0 0

Danijel, 

We're starting with Shopify Plus merchants and eventually rolling out to all merchant plans. Appreciate the excitement as we work on getting it there.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
12 0 0

Clement, 

I'm going to check back with the team on the refunds GET request and get back to you tomorrow. I know the orders.line_items have a price_set so you'll have both shop values and presentment values. orders.line_items.price_set.shop_money or orders.line_items.price_set.presentment_money.

0 Likes