Upcoming Change: Declined app charge redirects will now be handled by Shopify

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

Hey App Devs,

Currently when a merchant is prompted to confirm an app charge and declines, the merchant is redirected to the confirmation_url provided by the developer. As of Monday December 3rd 2018, Shopify will be handling all redirects whenever an app charge is declined. This means that when the merchant is asked to approve a charge and clicks cancel they will be redirected to the App Index page within their Admin, followed by a notification communicating that they have chosen to decline the charge.

What this means for you

No change is required on the developers side for this change to take place.

This change will affect Recurring Application Charges, Application Charges and updating Usage Charge capped amounts. No changes will be made to the current workflow of accepting app charges.

Why is this happening

We’ve made this update to keep this workflow uniform and consistent for merchants, and to save app developers time in having to create a redirect page.

If you have any questions or comments please comment in the thread below,

Shopify Apps Team

Developer Experience @ Shopify
1 Like
Shopify Expert
3937 16 325

Wow. That took how long to fix? Many many years ;)

Such progress! 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
1 Like

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the update, the change communicated makes perfect sense. May I ask what the reason for the change is?

I do handle “Clicked cancel” on charges correctly in my apps (at least I think I am) and being able to redirect them back and then explaining the readond why they should accept is really useful.

It’s a rare’ish case so not a big deal, but just want to understand better the “why” of this change :)

Many thanks,

Bjorn

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011
1 Like
Shopify Partner
30 0 9

To have a client reach the Billing confirmation she must have first installed the app.

With the previous implementation we had the oportunity to inform the user that our app is still installed at their account and inform them how to remove it.

Now you don't mention anything about the non working apps they have at their list, maybe it would be better to ask them if they want to uninstall the app or allow the developers to flag their app as 'Billing only app' so Shopify can uninstall it without user's permittion.

Build Shopify Applications with the most simple UX possible
3 Likes
Shopify Expert
24 0 2

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for letting us know. Is it at all possible to ask the Merchant why they declined the charge in a similar way to how you ask the Merchant why they uninstalled an app? This could show up against the declined charge entry for that store in the partner dashboard. 

It may help us to understand why they clicked "Add app" from the App listing page but then decided not to accept the charge when presented with the details, i.e. was it the scopes that were the issue, the pricing... was the price not visible enough on the App Listing page and they only relaised the price when presented with the charge?

If this is the plan, then great, if not, I'm sure we'd all appreciate if this could be considered, as well as the great suggestion from Menelaos above regarding asking the Merchant if they'd like to remove the app.

I appreciate you folks are busy, but it would be great to not to be stonewalled on this one.

Cheers,

Steve

Apps for Shopify Merchants
1 Like
Tourist
3 0 7

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the notice on this. Our app already gracefully handles the declined charges but I'm not 100% sure that this change is the solution to the right problem. We often get merchants who will initially decline the charge, then get redirected to our confirmation url page (which provides a clear explanation of the charge/trial period), then return to accept the charge and continue with the app.

In our experience, problem is that merchants are having a hard time understanding how the trial period works on the Accept Charge page. While that information **is** on the Accept Charge page, it's either not clear enough or not prominent enough. This causes confusion for merchants who are coming in for a free trial period but don't understand what or why they need to accept a charge.

Cheers,

Andrew

7 Likes

??? 1000% agree with Andrew on this one, he’s summarized my concerns perfectly!

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011
0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi there,

As others mentioned here, with the current behavior the apps have an opportunity to communicate with the user about their decision and maybe get them to accept the charge. That is what we currently have in place and get results. The least is that we could record the activation status as "Declined" and start internal processes to react to the event. The new behavior will break this process and the subscription request will be hanging in the air without a status update!

How about adding an optional "decline_url" parameter to the subscription authorization to allow the apps optionally handle the decline? And if the decline_url parameters is not provided, Shopify would execute the new behavior that's announced here. This way you can make sure that if the URL is provided, there is proper communcation and handling of the decline in place. 

Cheers,
Cee

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll get it in front of the billing API team and they'll respond early next week.

Have a great weekend!

Developer Experience @ Shopify
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1663 50 174

@Ryan O toast notifications are quick and missable, Will merchants also recieve an email or an entry in the admin timeline?

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes