[Upcoming Launch] Shopify Tips

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
277 1 52

In the coming weeks, Shopify will be releasing tipping as a feature to Shopify POS to solve a common merchant pain point, work better with service based businesses, and allow partners to build service based extensions (e.g. appointment bookings).

In anticipation of this launch, we wanted to share some details around the expected changes to our Orders API as a result of tipping.

Orders API Expected Changes

New fields

• total_tip_received: represents the total tip amount received for the order 
  • line_item.tip_payment_method: represents the payment method used to tender the tip. (i.e tip_payment_method: “Visa”).
  • line_item.tip_payment_gateway: the payment gateway used to tender the tip (i.e. tip_payment_gateway: “shopify_payments”).

New field values

• line_item.name will have a new value “Tip” 
  • line_item.fulfilment_status will have a new value “not_eligible” for line items that cannot participate in the fulfillment process. Tips use this value.

Other changes

• The subtotal_price field of an order will not include tip amounts.
  • The total_price field of an order will include tip amounts

It is also important to note that:

• A tip is not fulfillable
  • The tip amount is refundable
  • The tip amount is not reported as shop revenue

If you have any questions or concerns about the upcoming launch of Shopify Tips, please feel free to comment in the thread below!

1 Like
Shopify Partner
25 0 7

Will refunded tips show up as a "refund_line_items" item or as an "order_adjustments" value when refunded on the Refund object?

How will the official "Tip" line item be detectable from existing stores that simply use a $0.01 Product with one Variant titled "Tip"? Just the fulfillment_status?

Along with the above, are there any plans to use the "not_eligible" fulfillment_status anywhere else?

Will there be multiple positive transactions on an order if a tip is tendered later?

Is there anyway to keep track of which user_id owns or is owed a Tip? Espeically since Users are currently a Shopify Plus only API call, which greatly limits most apps ability to resolve which employee / staff member is owed the tip.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
660 0 104

Is there a way to test this before it's rolled out to all merchants?

0 Likes
Tourist
34 0 2

Hey Jordan, will the tipping functionality itself will be native to the payment flow through the POS app checkout?

Reward yourself and your Customers.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
660 0 104

was this released yet?

0 Likes
1 0 0

Pardon my French, but this is fucking crazy. Every POS app has this option. You're a company full of developers and your customers have been asking for this feature repeatedly since 2013!!! Get. it. together. 

You said "in the coming weeks" three months ago. Having your customers pay an extra $10 a month for a very mediocre app if NOT an acceptable solution to this problem. I will be switching to square if you cannot provide a release date for this feature or an integrated solution in the next week. This is honestly pathetic for a tech company. People create and sell complete apps in less time than it's taken you to add a tipping option to your POS. 

0 Likes
3 0 0

Has this been released yet?

0 Likes
3 0 0

Has this been released yet?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
277 1 52

Hey all, this feature is fully live. You can see our Tips help resources here. Please keep in mind, the Order API changes mentioned above will only be exposed on Orders that have tips included.

0 Likes
3 0 0

What about with the integrated Moneris credit card terminal? All 3 supported credit card readers mentioned do not accept debit in Canada and are therefore useless to my shop. 

0 Likes