Upcoming changes to the Order Status page

Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
531 0 88

On November 1st, Shopify will be making some changes to the Order Status page (also known as the Thank You page).

The previous URL format of https://checkout.shopify.com/#{shop_id}/checkouts/#{checkout_token}/thank_you will be changing to https://checkout.shopify.com/#{shop_id}/orders/#{order_token} for orders processed via Shopify’s web checkout.

If your app uses ScriptTags to execute code on the Order Status Page, you should ensure that you create the ScriptTag with the scope parameter set to order_status, instead of relying on parsing the URL of the current page (since this could be subject to change again in the future).

Any applications with existing ScriptTags with a scope of order_status will continue to work as normal.

Some points to keep in mind about the order status page:

• Checkout data (the Shopify.checkout object) may not always be present in the order status page if there is no associated checkout (e.g. if the order was processed via Draft Orders)

• The order ID might not be present in the order status page if there is no associated order (e.g. if the payment was processed offsite)

If you have any questions or concerns, please comment in this thread.

Cheers,

Jamie D.
Developer Experience
Shopify Inc.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
28 0 3

Thanks for the heads up Jaime-- how do you see this affecting Google Analytics goals? I think a lot of folks have goals set up for "thank_you" as a URL string which defines the goal.

Hidden Gears: Web Design, Development + Digital Marketing
1 Like

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the update :) Quick question. A lot of merchant email templates (Shopify Admin -> Settings -> Notifications) link to the order status page, and millions of end customers therefore have emails with links pointing to the old address.

For how long will the existing URL format continue to function for end customers?

Many thanks,
Bjorn

Bjorn Forsberg
Chief Eternal Optimist
FORSBERGtwo

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
682 0 67

@Forsberg+two the Shopify notification emails should using `{{ order_status_url }}`, in which I guess they would be ok

I'm a million different people
0 Likes

@rickydazla You are right that the templates won't need updating.. but I'm thinking more about the emails that have already been sent to end customers (where the liquid has rendered to a static link). For how long will the old link work for them?

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011
0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
531 0 88

Hey Hidden Gears,

Analytics will continue to work as expected, as the /checkouts/#{checkout_token}/thank_you page will still be rendered at least once for each web checkout. If the customer refreshes the page or clicks the link in the order confirmation e-mail, they will be directed to the new /orders/#{order_token} page.

Forsberg+two,

The static links will continue to work, but the customer will be dynamically redirected to the /orders/#{order_token} page once this is rolled out. New e-mail links will point the customer directly to the new thank you URL.

Hope this clears things up!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
28 0 3

Great, thanks for the clarification Jaime!

best,

Paolo

Hidden Gears: Web Design, Development + Digital Marketing
0 Likes
2 0 1

Hi Jamie,

Is there a list of objects I have access to on the orders status page? I know I can do something like console.log({{order_number}}), but can't do something like console.log({{order.shipping_address}})? I want to send the order information to a server whenever a user visits the order status page. What do you think is the best way to accomplish this?

0 Likes
2 0 0

Thanks for the Info.

0 Likes
2 0 0
Thanks for the info.
0 Likes