Updated Deadline: Aug 1st -- [Deprecation] Important changes to ProductVariant, Refund and Fulfillment APIs

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

Hi Jurgen,

There is a daily automated to check to see if the app has made any deprecated calls within the past week.  Once there are no calls in the last week, the banner is removed.

Cheers,

Developer Experience @ Shopify
1 Like
Shopify Partner
221 1 15

haha so I must wait a week :P Coolio haha thanks for the information. That should be added to the Locations Private Apps documentation. 

Cheers!

Entrepreneur, Developer, Geek, Gamer and very passionate about WEB development! :P

Need help with your Shopify Store? Contact me: jfeuchter@gmail.com :D
0 Likes

Hey Ryan,

We have one customer of our app who had recently switched to a multi-location inventory setup and their inventory items are currently connected to a "Custom fulfillment service" location.

Following the API docs, when we POST to `/inventory_levels/set.json`, we specify `disconnect_if_necessary:true` in the request.

However, only one of their inventory items was able to get a successful response and the rest are giving a 422 error with the message: "Could not deactivate item at its location"

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Co-Founder / Developer at Highview Apps
Our Shopify Apps: apps.shopify.com/partners/highview-apps
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

Hi Jonathan, generally that is because the item has open pending commitments (needs to be fulfilled on an order).  In order to force relocate these commitments to the new location you should use an /admin/inventory_levels/connect.json call with relocate_if_necessary: true.

0 Likes

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the explanation!

I was checking with the customer over the weekend and had him send me over a screenshot of the variant detail page and noticed a field called "Inventory managed by" and it was set to this 3rd Party Fuliifillment Service.

I asked him if it's possible for him to change that to "Shopify" but apparently they can't do that as it would affect their process.

So I just want to confirm: for them to be able to use Shopify's multi-location inventory feature, the "Inventory managed by" field has to be set to "Shopify" correct? And there's no other way around it?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

So I just want to confirm: for them to be able to use Shopify's multi-location inventory feature, the "Inventory managed by" field has to be set to "Shopify" correct? And there's no other way around it?

It really depends on what you mean by this.  Having variants controlled by a fulfillment service just means that that variant is managed by the fulfillment service.  A variant can not be stocked at a fulfillment service ("legacy" location), and a standard location simultaneously. That is the only restriction on it, which is on a per variant level.

0 Likes

Hey Ryan,

I think I understand.

So if they want to use Shopify's multi-location inventory feature, the "Inventory managed by" setting on the variant page will have to be set to "Shopify" right, since these are all Standard locations?

And if they change their mind later and want to go back to the Legacy location, they can change that setting back to that 3rd party fulfillment service but then they can't use the multi-location feature as you can't set the inventory on both the Legacy location and one of the Standard locations?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

So if they want to use Shopify's multi-location inventory feature, the "Inventory managed by" setting on the variant page will have to be set to "Shopify"

I still don't know what you mean by this. What part of the feature?

An inventory item can be stocked at any amount of locations where legacy = false, but only one if legacy = true.  That is the restriction to inventory when using a fulfillment service to manage the item.  Setting an inventory item to managed by a fulfillment service, stocks that item at the location tied to that fulfillment service.

Hopefully that clears up the question?

0 Likes

Hey Ryan,

Sorry for all these questions. 

The main thing I want to confirm is what the "Inventory managed by" setting should be for the merchant to be able to use multiple Standard locations. (for whatever reason, the UI also seems a little different in his store also, on our test store with multi-location enabled, it simply says "Fulfillment Service" instead of "Inventory managed by").

My assumption is this would need to be set to "Shopify" to be able to set inventory in the Standard locations, correct?

0 Likes

Just realized I was basically going in circles.  What you said makes sense and I confirmed in the Shopify admin that you can only set inventory levels in multiple locations per variant if the "Inventory managed by" setting is set to "Shopify" (as the Location options disappear if you select something else).

Thanks and sorry again for all the comments!

0 Likes