Updated Deadline: Aug 1st -- [Deprecation] Important changes to ProductVariant, Refund and Fulfillment APIs

Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Hi,

I use a private app (not Third party apps) to make API calls to my store endpoint to update inventory quantity and fulfillment details for the order. fulfillment_service is set to "manual" for all the products/variants. I fulfill the products manually and use my custom application to update Shopify with the required details.

Question:

1. Is location_id still mandatory in the fulfillment API even when private apps are making the call to create the fulfillment records ?

2. When the product is set to fulfillment_service = manual, can i update the inventory levels using Inventory API without specifying the location_id.

1 Like
15 0 0

Hi Ryan,

Could you please update the post's links to the two Migration tutorials? They point to 404.

Thanks,

Bardia

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 1

@Hari - I too would like to know this, I have a private app performing fulfillments currently. It's slightly concerning that neither the fulfillment migration tutorial nor the API docs for locations are currently available? Is locations something you opt-in to?

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

Hey All,

Fulfillment Migration Guide, Locations, if these don't work for you, try resetting your cache.  The  URLs were only down for about 30 minutes for the migration to the new developers site.

Question:

1. Is location_id still mandatory in the fulfillment API even when private apps are making the call to create the fulfillment records ?

2. When the product is set to fulfillment_service = manual, can i update the inventory levels using Inventory API without specifying the location_id.

You must always include a location ID, doesn't matter about private apps.

Developer Experience @ Shopify
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
60 0 25

I noticed the same thing as Paul and mentioned it here. Important to get an answer. 

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

Responded to your other thread as well:

You have to include a location ID even if the shop only has a single location.  The changed behaviour on Product and Product Variant went into place when that document was pubished in late 2017, and will only continue to take place in a grace period for grandfathered apps after the release of multiple locations.  This is in order to mitigate the affect on merchant's inventory if the apps do not migrate in time.  I will update the migration guide to be more clear about this.

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 1

Hi Ryan,

We are still unclear about how the new API will work. Here are a few issues / questions we are currently having a very hard time with:

1. Is multi location equivalent to multiple locations? What I mean is, we have a test store with three locations but the has_multilocation flag is still set to false. Is there a place in the admin area where we can turn this on? Can one define multiple POS locations with the has_multilocation flag set to false? 
  2. Related to point 1 above, do you have an ETA as to when we can we set the multi location flag?   

I would be helpful if you can answer these questions in a timely manner, we have one engineer staying idle waiting for these points to be clarified :)

Thank you in advance.

Tahar.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

You can test the multi-location feature by creating a new development store from your partner account and checking the box here:

Once your store is created you can go to settings > locations and enable the features.

For 1.  Even with the flag off, you may have more than one location.  This could be from POS locations, or automatically created from a fulfillment service

0 Likes
Tourist
12 0 1

Thanks a lot Ryan. That definitely helps. In case of a store with multiple POS locations and the has_multi_location flag set to false, how will Shopify behave? Would inventory and orders be handled same as if the multi-location flag was set?  

Again thanks for all the clarifications.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
60 0 25

Hi Ryan O. Here is another question. When creating a product via the API or creating a new variant via the API do we, in essence have to create variants with zero inventory and then after the call completes we set inventory levels for the necessary location(s)? So the new flow of product creation would be:

1. Setup JSON for a full product including properties, images, variants, metafields, etc...
  2. POST to /admin/products.json
  3. Inspect response JSON to get inventory item ID's
  4. For each variant's inventory_item_id, submit a POST to inventory_levels/set.json to set its available inventory

This right? Make sense? No way to create a product with inventory levels in one call anymore?

0 Likes