[Updated Deadline] Breaking changes to Product/Variant, Fulfillment, and Refund APIs

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

Hi, 

Does this mean Locations is being pushed back to August for public release or is it still very soon (coming week).

Hey Robert,

There have been no dates announced for locations launch to merchants both before or after the deadline change.

Happy long weekend all!

Developer Experience @ Shopify
0 Likes
Excursionist
22 0 5

Let me try and better explain the issues this causes as I see them. Hopefully you can clarify.

1. The term Locations is being used for too many things. It's a POS, a Fulfillment service, and now a generic inventory location. But they all work differently and are not documented. This is the root of most of the confusion.
  2. There's a new "Fulfillment priority" setting that says it will assign orders to locations, and split orders if a single location does not have enough inventory. This is not working at all. Orders are always assigned to the first location in the list regardless of inventory levels, and orders are never split as the setting says they will be. Even if orders were split, the API provides no way to identify if an order was assigned to multiple locations because location_id does not exist in line_items.
  3. The "Change Location" option in the Shopify order UI does not do anything when clicked.

Here's an example of an order that should have split its lines into two locations based on inventory. It did not. Also the Change location option does nothing when clicked.

Here's a quote from the "Edit fulfillment priority" screen in Shopify:

Locations at the top of the list are assigned orders first. If one location can’t fulfill the whole order, it will get split and assigned to multiple locations.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
76 1 11

Hey Jordan,

If an app never set but only read product_variant.inventory_quantitywill it get removed from Shopify App store or will the warning banner shown? 

Regard,
Sam

SimplyCost - Add costs and track profit (https://apps.shopify.com/simplycost)
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
11 0 0

We have an issue with the changes that we are really trying to get clarification on...

We use a third party software at the moment to manage our shopify inventory, and then there POS and our two retail store stock. We moved away from Shopify POS to try gain the power to control our multi location stock.

We have a simple setup, an online warehouse, and two retail locations. All with there own stock.

Will the changes in Shopify for this multi location inventory allow us to set POS to a specific location, and set our online sales to a specific location.

Or is this update just going to allow multiple warehouses for POS/Online orders to pick from.

Thanks,

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi. Could someone from Shopify please reply to this. Will product_variant.inventory_quantity remain to be available as READ only? If not this means multiple API calls just to get the total number of products in stock???

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
9 0 2

Adam, your question regarding product_variant.inventory_quantity was answered by Ryan on another thread.  He commented "Yes inventory_quantity will remain on product variant as a read-only property.  It will reflect the sum of inventory available at all locations."

https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/api-announcements/t/updated-deadline-aug-1st-deprecation-important-c...

2 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
277 1 52

Hey John

>Will the changes in Shopify for this multi location inventory allow us to set POS to a specific location, and set our online sales to a specific location.

Locations will allow you to assign inventory to a POS Location. Though, POS is the only channel that you can currently assign inventory to. 

For example, if you have multiple locations, then only the products stocked at your Shopify POS device’s assigned location are available for sale. The assigned location’s inventory count is updated whenever a product is sold or restocked on Shopify POS.

We don't currently offer the ability to assign inventory to any other channels (i.e online store). 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
11 0 0

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for the further information. So our setup is, our online warehouse, then 2 retail locations (which will after the changes go back to using Shopify POS).

This will mean we have locations of...

Warehouse
POS 1 (retail store 1)
POS 2 (retail store 2)

All of which can be assigned there own stock... would that be correct for our current setup?

Also, we do have a partner account with a test store to play around with - but when our current inventory/fulfilment management system updates to the new API, will this push the location changes to our store, or will this only happen once the changes come out of beta and are launched across Shopify?

Many thanks.

John

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Jordan,

Sorry to pile on to the questions here, but there's one thing which potentially could change Aug 1 that I still haven't been able to confirm from the documentation, forums, or some email correspondence with the depreciations team.

If we create a new product from product api, will a location_level automatically be connected to the primary location? That seems to be the behavior now, but I'm wondering if after Aug 1 if we have to explicitly make an inventory_level connection from the api vs it being auto-generated to a default location as a dovetail of creating a new variant. 

Hope this makes sense. I also think the process of setting inventory levels should probably be made more explicit in a documentation example. The impact of setting inventory on product create I don't think is crystal clear and I feel like this point could lead to breakage of some apps come Aug 1.

- Shane 

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 36 92

but when our current inventory/fulfilment management system updates to the new API, will this push the location changes to our store, or will this only happen once the changes come out of beta and are launched across Shopify?

Many thanks.

Locations will be an opt-in feature when it launches, so you only switch when you are ready.  The API changes however are mandatory.

If we create a new product from product api, will a location_level automatically be connected to the primary location? That seems to be the behavior now, but I'm wondering if after Aug 1 if we have to explicitly make an inventory_level connection from the api vs it being auto-generated to a default location as a dovetail of creating a new variant. 

This behaviour should remain, creating a product automatically assigns all variants to an inventory item, and the item is assigned an inventory level connection to begin with.

Developer Experience @ Shopify
1 Like