Is there deadline to move to versioning API?

Solved
Shopify Partner
27 0 2

What is the grace period for switch?

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
15 3 9

Hi @samwise, if you make a request that doesn't specify a version, the API defaults to the oldest supported stable version. This means that you have at least a year, until April, 2020. At that point, the 2019-04 API version will be removed, and unspecified calls will start running against the 2019-07 version, which may include breaking changes.

Keep in mind though, that the current 2019-04 version will not receive any more new features. As new features get added into 2019-07 or future versions, you will have to switch in order to take advantage of them.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
27 0 2

Hi @Evan_Huus , thanks for quick response.  

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
27 0 2

@Evan_Huus  can you please confirm that creating/retrieving webhooks is not versioned too?

Per this: https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/api-versioning-at-shopify it seems it is versioned. 

Postman 2019-04-10 12-31-57.png

0 Likes

Success.

Community Manager
Community Manager
568 34 65

Hey @samwise,

The webhooks API is versioned. Your url looks wrong, it should be /admin/api/2019-04/webhooks.json.

We have information in our docs about how versioning applies to webhooks here.

Cheers,

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
27 0 2

@Busfox  u are the man! Thanks, I missed that ... :(

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1704 47 152

@Evan_Huus 

Theres not going to be an additional response like a header that's a countdown number, correct?

So X-Shopify-API-Deprecated-Reason , like the X-Shopify-Shop-Api-Call-Limit header for call limits, is the thing to watch?

And thus possibly that header is where to pull dates strings from?

Could a sample response get added to docs please.

just in case: if days are ever used in version numbers, or text of X-Shopify-API-Deprecated-Reason,  please stick to the YYYY-MM-DD format used elsewhere

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
15 3 9

Hey @PaulNewton, no we're not planning to provide an additional response countdown number; you can calculate that value yourself if you want it (e.g. if you're currently calling `2019-04`, just the number of days until April 1st, 2020).

Yes, X-Shopify-API-Deprecated-Reason is the thing to watch. Currently the value of that header (if present) will always just be a link to a page containing all the necessary information (dates, migration guides, etc) for the given deprecation. We could consider adding more information directly to the header, if it would prove useful? Though just the fact that the header is present is enough to indicate that a human needs to take a look.

I assume the example you're looking for would be on https://help.shopify.com/en/api/versioning/deprecation-practices#rest-api-deprecation-practices ? I'll ask our docs folks to add one.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1704 47 152

@Evan_Huus wrote:

I assume the example you're looking for would be on https://help.shopify.com/en/api/versioning/deprecation-practices#rest-api-deprecation-practices ? I'll ask our docs folks to add one.

Yes, or at minimum append it's bullet point with something like: " containing a link to the notice in the developer changelog". assuming if the plan is to always release notice to the changelog , it should be the first item too.

Ty for clarification nntr.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes

Is there also a way to get the newest stable version of the API? Something like /admin/api/stable/webhooks.json that would always use the newest available stable API, so that would switch to 2019-07 in July.

Casper | Picqer (e-commerce warehouse management software)
1 Like