Accounting

Charmaine_Grego
2 0 0

Hello all. I have a question regarding accounting. I wanted to get a feel for what the general consensus the shopify community's experience with difference accounting software and apps. Specifically what are you using currently and how do you feel about it. We are thinking of using either QuickBooks online or FreshBooks. Any opinion of those or any other accounting software and app to link to the software would be great!

Thanks in Advance

0 Likes
Richard_Estabro
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
24 0 2

Hey Charmaine,

Richard here, from the Shopify Guru Team! I can't speak from personal experience, as I don't use Quickbooks or Freshbooks myself, but I've dealt with lots of customers who do use Quickbooks. I've found that the majority of them are using an app called Lettuce to integrate with it, which you can read a bit more about here: https://apps.shopify.com/lettuce

It will sync your orders, payments, customers and products with Quickbooks Online :) 

I'm a bit less familiar with Freshbooks, as I've dealt with fewer customers who use it, but I know there's an app out there that integrates with it as well, it's called Freshbooks Accountancy & Bookkeeping Integrator and you can read more about it here - https://apps.shopify.com/freshbooks-accountancy-bookkeeping-integrator-by-carrytheone

If there's anything else I can do for you, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me via email at richard.estabrooks@shopify.com

Cheers,
Richard | Shopify

0 Likes
Tejaswi
Shopify Partner
175 0 35

Heya Charmaine,

Disclaimer: I am a part of ZapStitch - we have a 5-star rated App in the Shopify App Store integrating with QuickBooks Online.

Intuit's QuickBooks Online is the leader in SMB accounting. More than 27000* eCommerce stores use it to do day-to-day accounting. It allows for comprehensive integration with Shopify and hence automates your accounting.

Xero is the closest competitor. Here is a brilliant article by Sleeter Group (the authoritative source for SMB accounting soltuions for small and medium businesses) comparing the top Accounting solutions - am sure will help you with information and critical analysis.

0 Likes
Ray_Belanger_MB
Shopify Partner
29 0 3

Hi Charmaine, 

QuickBooks is your best bet, for a lot of reasons - reliability, functionality, and scalability being the foremost, and scalability being the most unique feature. However there are up to 8 versions of QB to choose from, and based on that choice there are a number of integration apps you can select, (a few of them have posted above).  If you want to review your options, I have a quick questionnaire which can help narrow your choices.  Contact me through Linked In, ca.linkedin.com/in/raybelanger/ if you want to connect. 

Ray

0 Likes
standoutd
Navigator
1137 0 125

The Softcookies app is superbly flexible and well supported.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
SuperManager
Shopify Partner
8 0 0

If you decide to go with QuickBooks, make sure to check out SuperManager, which will download your Shopify orders and export them to QuickBooks for you so you don't have to manually transfer the data.

0 Likes
Jack_Couch
Shopify Partner
13 0 1

Hey Guys,

If you are looking for the simplest and cheapest option check out this app that will download all of your transactions from shopify and put them in a simple format so anything accounting software (like Quicken, etc) will be able to keep track of your income and fees:

https://monchilla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201792915-Downloading-Shopify-Transactions

-Jack

0 Likes
Terascout
3 0 0

I am using Quickbooks Desktop for my accounting and found it comprehensive enough for my need and not too hard to learn. I use the online software from Teapplix for my shipping, accounting and inventory handling. It allows me to configure the way that it will create Quickbooks accounts / customers for me so I don't need to do much work in Quickbooks.

0 Likes
Ray_Belanger_MB
Shopify Partner
29 0 3

Hi Terascout, 

Just curious, do you import Sales Receipts or Invoices (and mark them paid)?  Also, do you have identical item lists in QB and Shopify, allowing PO creation when inventory is flagged for re-stock?

I am building a system similar to this, and am interested in your experience and progress.

Thx, Ray

0 Likes
C_M
Tourist
4 0 1

I have read that WorkingPoint Accounting integrates with Shopify without the need of a middleware integration app. Search WorkingPoint+Shopify .  Has anyone used this ?

0 Likes