Add Tax at Checkout

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

I have set-up my products online and all information is correct in the 'Inventory and Variants' section in relation to Tax and Shipping. My preference is that Tax would added at check-out and this is the option that I've opted for. However, when I visit the site and test a purchase, Tax is not being added at the check-out stage. Does anybody know when I need to do to make this really work?

Thanks for your help.

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 54

Hey John!

This is actually related to how Shopify Express, your payment gateway, works. Prior to the order being actually completed, your customers are sent over to PayPal to, effectively, authorize the purchase either on their credit card or on their PayPal account. Once the steps are completed on the PayPal portion of the payment process, your customers are sent back to Shopify where shipping and/or taxes are applied prior to the order actually being completed.

Simply follow your PayPal checkout through to the end, and you'll see that the shipping costs and tax are added on to the order after the PayPal Portion of payment is completed.

Talk to you soon!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Hi Matthew, Thanks for your response. I don't mean to doubt you but I think I just tried what you suggested but to no avail. Surely when I'm confirming payment, the full amount inclusive of taxes and shipping should be accounted for? Also, if you visit my website www.simpq.ie and try and proceed to checkout with an item, you will notice that the note under the final price states that it is 'including tax and excluding shipping'. Are you able to shed any further light on the issue for me?! Thanks for your help. John
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Hi Matthew, Thanks for your response. I don't mean to doubt you but I think I just tried what you suggested but to no avail. Surely when I'm confirming payment, the full amount inclusive of taxes and shipping should be accounted for? Also, if you visit my website www.simpq.ie and try and proceed to checkout with an item, you will notice that the note under the final price states that it is 'including tax and excluding shipping'. Are you able to shed any further light on the issue for me?! Thanks for your help. John
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 54

Hey John!

I'm unable to replicate the checkout because my PayPal account is not tied to an address in the UK or Ireland, which would prevent me from seeing the appropriate taxation rates that you have defined in your shop. I am, however, able to see that one of your orders from the UK was charged both tax and shipping, and this would be reflected on the final stage of the checkout, after PayPal's portion of the checkout, but before the completion of the order.

Here's a glance at the charges applied to that order with any sensitive information blurred out:

http://monosnap.com/image/a2Egdu0rAOtHZD1JVocjHdpDo

As you can see, Shipping and VAT were both charged on this order, as would be expected. Try another checkout with a UK or Irish address, and you should see all of the charges applied prior to completion of the order, after shipping has been selected on stage 2 of the Shopify Checkout.

Talk to you soon!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply.

I have completed the complete process involved with purchasing and see that you are indeed correct!
I appreciate your clarification.

All the best,

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 54

No problem, John.

PayPal Express can be tricky to work with, if only because of the fact that it pulls folks off of Shopify in order to process their transactions. We're hoping for more variety in our integrated gateways soon, and we're fairly confident that our own Shopify Payments gateway could be expanding to Europe hopefully within the next year.

http://www.shopify.com/payments

In the mean time, we also offer these alternative gateways for you to use with your shop in addition to PayPal Express. These credit card gateways can be linked to your shop with PayPal Express, and so your customers will have the option to pay directly through your site with a credit card, or complete payment on PayPal.

http://www.shopify.com/payment-gateways/ireland

Talk to you soon!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Thank you Matthew. Im about to set up Shopify with Paypal Express. This made me understand the process. Good support. +1

www.lotusmarketing.ca - Conception Web | Stratégie | Branding
0 Likes