Adding CA state county tax rates and locations

Highlighted
1 0 0

My sales orders do not match the shopify orders because county taxes are not being calculated.  It was suggested to me that I do a tax override for the shipments going to the 56 different counties we have in California.  

I have looked into Shopify's instructions on how to do so and it seems that I have to add all the locations(counties) first?  

The only locations that are available for me to do tax overrides now are the few counties we have sold to in the short time we have had the web site up and running.

I need some guidance on how to do this if there isnt a service that Shopify offers that we can pay to have Shopify set this up for us.

Please advise,

April Benevento

(530)666-1020

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
537 0 84

Hey, April!

Savannah here from the Shopify Guru Team. 

California is a "No Out of County" tax state. That means: 

• Sales within the same city and county observe all three taxes (State, City, County).
  • Sales to a different city in the same county only pay State and County taxes.
  • In the case of a city spanning multiple counties, a sale to a different county in the same city is charged State and City taxes.
  • A sale to a different county and a different city in the same state pays only State tax.

Essentially, that means that if the order is not coming from your county, the tax will just be calculated as state tax. Does that make sense? Are county taxes not being calculated for orders in the same county as yours? Let me know a bit more about what's happening and I'll lend a hand!

Savannah | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes