Billing settings will not accept my Dutch VAT number

12 0 0

Hi Shopify

I am attempting to add my BTW (Dutch VAT) number to my billing settings for www.runder.nl website. For some reason, it cannot verify the VAT number. Are there any known reasons for this given my location (Netherlands)?

I have tried including the NL before the 9 digit number and tried without - both times no success. How can I remedy this?

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 12.16.03 PM.png

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
593 33 72

Hi, @Kyle-Robin !

Katy here from Shopify. I hope all is well with you, and thank you for reaching out.

I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with this. As you are located in the EU we do require you to add you VAT number if you have one, or else confirm that you do not, should you not have one as of yet. There is some more info on this here.

As you are attempting to add your BTW number there may be a couple of reasons for this not going through. If you are certain that you are already registered for VAT, but the verification through VIES is unable to confirm this, you may then need to request additional information locally. You can usually do so by requesting verification at your local tax office. The EU website linked from our above guide goes through this in more detail here.

I would first recommend to cross check your information to ensure that it is valid. If not, I would then advise you to reach out to your local tax authority

I hope this helps, and if you do have any additional questions at all, feel free to let me know. 

Cheers,

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
12 0 0

Hi Katy

Thank you for your guidance.

We are registered for BTW/VAT within the Netherlands. I have used the VAT number checker to see if our BTW number is verified through the tool. It gives me an invalid result for trading cross-border within the EU but We are only needing to trade within the Netherlands, not across the EU.  

How do I get Shopify to verify our BTW number to trade within the Netherlands with my registered BTW number?

KRS

Kyle

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
593 33 72

Thanks so much for your reply @Kyle-Robin  and for looking further into this using the above resources.

I understand that you do not plan to trade outside of the Netherlands at this time, however as your business is located within the EU we do require you to declare your VAT number (or state that you do not yet have one using N/A as a placeholder) for us to be able to correctly issue your invoice. At present, merchants based in the Netherlands will see this marked on their invoices as 0% VAT, however we do still need to keep track of this, in accordance with EU law.

I have confirmed that you do not need to place the NL in front of your VAT number, as this will be pulled from the address of your store automatically. Though if this is still not working for you, I would then encourage you to reach out to your local tax authority to confirm your ID, or if possible to look into getting a new ID issued.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes