Can someone help me set up my taxes?

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hello. I am still in the process of setting up my website. I will be dropshipping product from China through Oberlo, and dropshipping product from the United States on Spocket. I live in Oregon, and we have no sales tax in my state. How do I set up my sales tax? Since I will be dropshipping product from the United States I assume I will be charging sales tax on those products. Help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3392 252 611

Hi @jessica0827,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question, taxes aren't easy to figure out even on the best of days. Let's take a look into this for you now. 

The first thing I always say to someone asking about their taxes is to speak to your local tax office or an accountant in your area about this. Shopify doesn't file or remit your sales taxes for you and because of this, you might need to register your business with your local or federal tax authority to handle your sales tax.

Shopify does have a help guide going through all of the steps for how to set up your taxes from the USA. It goes into detail of the different types of taxes you might need to charge depending on what state you are in. You can see the guide here. You can also see the guide for how to set up taxes here. Let me know if you have any other questions about anything. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
19 1 0

Looks like Nick was already able to help you out and provided useful links that can help you understand and manage your sales tax as an eCommerce seller. 

Although I've already responded to you on another thread, let me re-share an article published by TaxJar who helps eCommerce sellers/business owners in managing their sales tax: https://blog.taxjar.com/drop-shipping-sales-tax/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
253 10 31

Hi there,

I'll share some resources from Avada Commerce about Shopify taxes:

- How to charge taxes on Shopify store

- How to set Shopify taxes for Dropshipping

Hope they'll help you ;)

I'm Jason Dao, Manager of Research & Development Department at Avada Ecommerce.
0 Likes