Canadian Wholesale Provincial Sales Tax Exemption

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello,

An old thread, https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/accounting-and-taxes/t/tax-exempt-customers-what-is-the-status-19645... has a question I need answered.

Quoted from the thread... "This function still does not allow Canadian sellers to properly tax our wholesale b2b clients. For b2b we need to charge federal tax at 5%, but NOT provincial sales tax. This is crucial for all Canadian businesses that cater to retail and wholesale."

I can't find a clear definitive answer in the Knowledge base either. How are other Canadian shops handling this?

Thanks for any help or suggestons.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Tony,

I have the same question and just wondered if you found a solution yet either through Shopify or an app?

Myron

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

This should be thoroughly embarrassing for Shopify - a Canadian Startup - to not be able to set up a simple tax system - despite the fact that they have some complex setups in the US.

What is the hold-up shopify?  

At least a reply with a we will do it when..........

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 6

Did you ever receive an answer for this? We have customers with Native Status Cards so they don’t pay the provincial tax but still need to pay federal tax. From what I’ve tried, I can’t find anywhere where it lets you charge just the one tax and have customers exempt from the other.

Any solution someone has found would be much appreciated!

0 Likes