Charging Tax on POS & not online

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

I'm considering switching to the Shopify card reader to take mobile payments at Pop-Up Shop and trunk show we frequent, but I'm unable to figure out how to charge tax when I take payments in person via my phone and not charge taxes in my online shop. 

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help, 

Jen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 0 35

Hi there Jen, why do you want to charge in person and not online at all?

When selling online to customers in-state you will want to charge the appropriate state tax. It looks as if you have set up two regions in Texas but the main issue will be the setting "All taxes are included in my prices."

This means that when I order on your store for myself (we are based in Canada) you are charging the same price as for in-state customers. The setting is a bit of a simplification for tax calculation, perhaps it would work best if you add tax, and turn that setting off.

That way tax will be added based on the sale price and location of the customer (or pop up shop, since the app locates you once you open it up) rather than just calculated (shown on the receipt, but not added to the price. Also, not subtracted for out of state sales)

Does this make sense?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Thanks for your reply, Alex. 

Since online customers are much more finicky and are much more likely to abandon a sale with any unexpected added costs, I eat the cost of tax for online customers in my state in order to decrease cart abandonment rates. So although technically tax is included, I see it more as that I pay the tax out of pocket.

In person, no one has ever not gone through with a sale because of added tax. I'm wanting to use the new Shopify Payment to help simplify inventory management at trunk shows, but it's not worth it if I'm not able to collect tax in person (where everyone is from my state). 

It is not possible to have separate settings so I can keep my check out online as free from distractions as possible?

Thanks!

Jen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 0 35

Hi Jen,

Unfortunately it is not possible, even though from your perspective you're eating the cost for online in reality you are asking to charge tax in-person, and not online. You can do the reverse but turning tax collection off in the app, or having the tax added online (since it will only be added for in-state sales).

Its not possible to have a tax rate on your store and not charge it online. I would turn on tax collection during days you have shows, then off once you're done. That way you won't usually experience low conversions due to tax (although tax is something all stores must deal with charging) and you can still use the tax settings as designed. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

That makes sense - thanks for your help!

1 Like