Collecting tax at POS location for a weekend show, but not online for that state

1 0 0

Currently if we set up a POS location for a weekend show to collect sales tax, Shopify calculates tax for that state for both the POS location and online orders.  Is there a way to collect sales tax on a state just for POS orders?  

Background - we are based in WI and when we go to shows we are required to charge sales tax at the show in IL, but we are not required to collect sales tax on orders shipped to IL throughout the year.  

If we set up the location temporarily we still need to manually refund everyone who ordered online that weekend.  

0 Likes
I would like a solution for this as well. I work the same way.

I have also just realized that each time I change the address for the temporary location I am selling at (I use one Shopify location, and edit the address for each show), Shopify retains all of those addresses as tax nexus locations automatically.

I would also like to see an option to disable this.

As with the original poster, I am only required to collect sales tax for the in-person sales while I am there. I do not want Shopify collecting taxes for online sales to that location while I am there or afterwards.

Edit: found this staff reply to a similar question looks like we are out of luck for the time being: https://community.shopify.com/c/Accounting-Taxes/Weekend-pop-up-shop-out-of-state-now-website-orders...
Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
0 Likes