Understanding customs duty for EU based POD stores: Who pays?

Linguaeshop
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi everyone, 

I'm quite new and struggling to get all the information I need to actually start selling. I do not dare to upload all the designs I have already prepared for fear of getting in trouble with the tax office in The Netherlands, where I am located.

Situation 1: My customer is located in EU. My POD provider (let say Printful, Printfy and so on) fulfils my customer's order in China or the US or any other place outside EU. Will I have to pay custom fees? Will I have to fill in custom paperwork? Will my customer pay import fees? How much? Where can I see the amount before placing the order?

Situation 2: My customer is located in UK. My POD provider fulfils my customer's order in EU. Will I have to fill in custom paperwork? Will my customer pay import fees? How much? Where can I see the amount before placing the order?

Situation 3: My customer is located in the US. My POD provider fulfils my customer's order in China. Will I have to pay custom fees? Will I have to fill in custom paperwork? Will my customer pay import fees? How much? Where can I see the amount before placing the order? Same question, if the fulfilment is done in the EU, what happens?

Situation 4: My customer is located in Australia or New Zealand (both locations I hope to sell to, as many of my designs are targeted to Dutch descendents). My POD provider fulfils my customer's orders in the EU for example, or China. Will I have to pay custom fees? Will I have to fill in custom paperwork? Will my customer pay import fees? How much? Where can I see the amount before placing the order?

I paid a professional accountant to advise me on this, and he could not, he said it was too complicated to understand how Shopify works, considering the multiple providers (apps) and variable of business. He said to go to Shopify and ask here how to set up this part of the shop. I'm now already paying the subscription for my shop and still only uploaded 2 products as a test run, as none of this is clear to me. 

Please help. Thanks.

Replies 0 (0)