Determining Sales Tax

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I am opening an online gallery where artists from all over the US ship from their work cities directly to the customer through buying on my site, sort of like etsy, but on a much smaller scale. I will be running the whole site from my state (NY).  How do I determine sales tax? Would the location of the business only be NY because I am the one running the site? If not, are there ecommerce platforms that can support putting in mulitiple locations for different artists to calculate sales tax based on their state they are shipping from? I am a little confused on the proper protocol and would love some advice. Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hello!

Sales tax can be pretty complex with a lot of different rules, mostly involving "nexus", or where your business has 'physical presence'. I would start with a simple New York Sales Tax guide:

https://trustfile.avalara.com/guides/state/new-york/

You'll find all the basic information you need to register, collect and file in New York State, as well as next steps & possible automated solutions if that's what your looking for. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers, 

Sergei

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Indeed. I must say I agree to you Segei. The first script calculates the sales tax of an item or group of items, then displays the tax in raw and rounded forms and the total sales price, including tax. You (obviously) may change the default values if you desire. Enter the total amount that you wish to have calculated in order to determine tax on the sale.

0 Likes