Dropshipping coffee UK - legal stuff & incorporation

Mirenvo
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I'm in a pickle here. I want to start dropshipping coffee in UK and I'm not sure if I need to register a private limited company or not.

Although I wouldn't handle the inventory, (my suppliers will ship the products directly to customers) it is still considered a food business. Therefore, it is generally advised to incorporate yourself because of the limited labiality.

I assume I'll need some kind of food insurance and licences as well.

So, generally speaking, it seems like a big commitment for a 'business' that might not bring any money whatsoever. 

For people who are first starting out it is usually advised to go as a sole trader. So even if it was possible to get the relevant licenses as a sole trader, there's still the issue of liability in case a customer falls ill or something because of my coffee.

Registering a business is not hard nor expensive but I guess I'm a bit anxious of all the other stuff that comes after..

How would you go about it?

Thanks in advance

Replies 2 (2)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2209 247 502

Hey, @Mirenvo 

Business and tax laws vary by country/region. Also, since I am not a tax professional I cannot accurately provide you with information based on your specific situation. With that said, you can always check out our Shopify experts directly to get guidance from sales tax experts on sales tax and liability. Otherwise, I'd recommend getting in touch with a local sales tax professional in your area who can provide you with a brief consultation on what would be required on your end to start your own business online.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Mirenvo
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for the reply @Dirk 

Is there a more appropriate thread for these kind of questions? I was hoping to get a little discussion going on with people who actually do dropshipping or private labelling in United Kingdom

Thanks