EU VAT for second-hand goods

Solved
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi,

I'm selling second-hand goods in the EU (mostly France). As such I must apply a splecial scheme for taxing the profit margin only, where the VAT is computed on the difference between the selling price (for the customer) and my purchase price.

For instance, if I purchase a product for 20€ and sell it for 50€, the profit margin is 30€, so with a 20% VAT rate, the VAT amount would be 5€ (and not 8.33€ as it would be with the "normal" VAT calculation).

Is there any way to support this on Shopify?

For now I have set all the tax rates to 0%. This way no tax amount is shown during checkout (which would be wrong anyway). But I'd love to be able to have real tax computations on Shopify, and hence charge the correct VAT amount in other countries.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Success.

Community Manager
Community Manager
2177 137 291

Hi Thomas,

Nick here from Shopify.

Really good question for a unique situation. After doing some digging, adding a tax override or exemption would be the best bet for you here. You can specify unique tax rates for a collection of products. We have a helpful guide (Section called - Override the taxes on a collection or on shipping charges ) which goes through this in more detail and the steps to apply it. When doing this, do be sure to go through all of your tax settings also, for example, making sure the All taxes are included in my prices box is not ticked or it would not accurately represent what you are looking to achieve here.

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like