GST for dropshipping store in India

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello @Nick 

I'm facing the same issue. Unfortunately, we can't set up Shopify PayPal Payments without GST number. I can't even get gst number because I don't have a business/company yet:( 

There are options such as Tax Payer, Tax deductor, gst practitioner, non-resident taxable person, other identified person, united nations body. All of these don't apply.

Let me know if there's any other solution.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi guys. I am also bit confused regarding the gst concept in shopify and the guide is also not clear.

I do have a registered firm and gst number as I operates in flipkart and amazon. Though I ship my products from Delhi only and my gst number is also of Delhi. 

But In shopify, I have supplier of different states, say Gujarat, and that would be delivering product to other states in India itself. Its dropshipping in a way within India. 

So how would that work. As far as I am aware, I can only ship products from my registered gst number state. If anyone is aware about such situation. Please guide. 

Also to the previous question, you don't need to own a company for gst number. You can register for gst as a sole proprietor as well. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3396 253 613

Hi @Riyo,

Great questions! As @Akki18 mentions, it could be worth looking a sole propertier to see if that could work for you? The only way for this would be to have a GST number and go that route. 

@Akki18, this is something I would look into and ask your local tax office/accountant or legal professional. I am not 100% on the laws of shipping between states within India, so can't comment or say anything for certain. It would definitely be best to ask a professional in your locality who would be more familiar with the business laws. 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey! You can easily setup PayPal without a GST number. We have done that. Contact PayPal support if you are facing any problem.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

We will be able to setup a Paypal account without a GST number, but I doubt if that would be a business account.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Hey. I do have a business account without GST. The use of GST number in
PayPal account is to avail input credit. You can Google to read more about
that.
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey not_rachit,

i am about to start my drop shipping business using shopify.

Just want to know that if there is a need to register for a gst number for my business and for running Facebook and google ads.

And also what formalities were required for opening business account with a bank 

0 Likes