Handling Colorado's Mix of Home-Rule and State Collected Taxes

1 0 1

Hi,

We have a physical presence in Colorado. Colorado is generally a 'destination state' but that only applies to municipalities and counties where CO collects and administers the taxes. Some cities are 'home rule' cities and in those cases, the nexus is not based on the destination.

The city of Louisville, CO is one example. Shopify collects sales tax for customers in that zip code even though we have no physical nexus there.

Support has told us that "Shopify cannot currently differentiate between home-rule and state administered jurisdictions." and suggested we use overrides - that would be 70+ overrides that covers huge parts of the state.

How are others handling sales tax collection in Colorado? Is Shopify going to fix this problem?

Thanks.

1 Like
2 0 0

Shopify is exactly zero help on this as they are most things. I'd start working on those overrides

0 Likes
2 0 0

We are stuck in the same boat.

0 Likes
21 0 0

I'm an Accountant residing in Colorado; for all of my Shopify bookkeeping clients living inside Colorado, and those living outside but shipping into Colorado causing sales tax nexus, I simply file the sales taxes required for them. I've found the 3rd party sales tax apps do not work for Colorado and our 700 different taxing jurisdictions.

0 Likes
1 0 0

Are you taking on any new clients? ;) I think I'm going to need help this tax season.

@eCommAccountant wrote:

I'm an Accountant residing in Colorado; for all of my Shopify bookkeeping clients living inside Colorado, and those living outside but shipping into Colorado causing sales tax nexus, I simply file the sales taxes required for them. I've found the 3rd party sales tax apps do not work for Colorado and our 700 different taxing jurisdictions.

0 Likes
Highlighted
21 0 0

sales tax has no seasons, it's your liability made by each order daily.

https://www.yourremoteaccountant.com 

0 Likes