Hong Kong company setting a Shopify US store with payment gateway to US partner

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi there,

We are a Hong Kong company with already a Shopify store (let's call it RED) in Hong Kong, USD masted currency, payment gateway in Hong Kong connected to our Hong Kong USD bank account. Here an example of our e-shop domain.  www.example.com\RED

Now we have a partner in USA that will have title of our goods in USA (stock in USA) and this partner will sell the goods to USA customers (USA on USA) using our e-shop.

We would like to create a second Shopify store (let's call it BLUE )that will be located as subdomain in our main page. www.example.com\BLUE

Here my question:

- Can the Hong Kong company register the Shopify Store BLUE and be the owner of BLUE but setting up the payment gateway in USA with the USA partner details ?

NOTE: The Hong Kong company is ok with the USA partner to cash the sales in the USA partner bank account thanks to USA payment gateway in the USA.

Thanks so much for the reply

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3244 245 555

Hi @Francesco2019,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Really great questions here. Let's take a look through it all to make sure we're all on the same page. 

Are you looking to see if you can run two stores using the same banking details even though they are based in different countries? If you wanted the Hong Kong company can be the owner of BLUE should you wish, the setting up the payment gateway is the tricky part here I feel. It should be no problem, but to use Shopify Payments as the payment gateway there would be some requirements. For example, to be able to use Shopify Payments you must be with a physical bank in the United States, trade in USD and have a registered Employer Identification Number (EIN) for the USA. You can see everything you need to know about Shopify Payments from here. Should you use a different payment gateway other than Shopify Payments, you can see the gateways Shopify is partnered with in the USA here

The ownership situation would work ok from Shopify's point of view, it would be a trust agreement from both owners here.

I was wondering could a multi-vendor marketplace app be a better solution for you with this scenario. For example, a multi-vendor marketplace app allows sellers (or vendors) can have their own profile and collection page with a variety of products. Essentially letting them have a store within your store, where they would be paid via a commission when sales are made. I'm not sure if this would work for you but thought it was best to mention it anyway. You can see the two best apps for this below:

I hope this helps and answers your question. If this doesn't answer your question, be sure to reply and let me know with more details what exactly you're looking for and we can take it from there. 🙂

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Thx Nick

actually we want to setup for each country (USA, RUSSIA, FRANCE) a dedicated subdomain e-shop store that we will manage and that will be connected to the bank account of our local partner.

The local partner will import the goods in the territory and will fulfil them to the local customers and the partner will cash the sales.

The local partners has a physical presence (warehouse/office) and EIN so we can setup the payment gateway for them connected to their bank account (for USA in USD, for RUSSIA in RUB in RUB, for FRANCE in EUR) so there will be 3 e-shop with 3 master currencies connected to 3 bank local bank accounts.

But as the owner of the brand/main domain, we want to maintain the total control/ownership of the 3 e-shops in the subdomain so to see the sales stats and in case of problem we can eventually shut down the account of the partner.

In this scenario: can we be the owner of the 3 e-shops that will be connected to the 3 local bank accounts of our 3 local partners ?

thanks !

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3244 245 555

This is an accepted solution.

In this scenario: can we be the owner of the 3 e-shops that will be connected to the 3 local bank accounts of our 3 local partners ?

Hi @Francesco2019,

Thanks for explaining that further. I see now that it makes sense to have three separate stores for you. Having you be the owner of the 3 shops would no problem from Shopify's end logistically. How you would arrange this with local partners would be your business and up to you, but in terms of having it set up, it would be no problem. 

Instead of the multi-vendor market place app, a Geo Location app might be a better fit for you here. A Geo Location app allows your site to detect your users location and redirect them to a specific site based on the conditions you set up. It might not be a good fit, but I thought it would be worth bringing to your attention just in case. You can see a couple of the top Geo Location apps below:

Hope this helps and answers your question!

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes