How can I deactivate the European Union tax feature

esbenp
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi,

By accident I activated the European Union Tax feature on my account. This does NOT work for us since it assumes that we are tax-registered in all EU countries and therefore have to pay local tax. This is not true in our case. How can we go back to the old tax system? We need all EU taxes to be fixed at 25% since we are only tax-registered in Denmark

0 Likes
Hyde
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
936 106 165

Hi @esbenp,

Hyde here from Shopify.

The new EU taxes feature allows you to update your EU tax settings to reflect your tax registrations. Typically, if you intend to sell to other countries in the EU, then you need to register with the tax authorities in your own country to charge VAT.

When you update your tax settings, you're asked to provide a VAT number. After it's been added, Shopify automatically sets the tax rates that apply in the areas you've registered for.

Of course, if you've consulted a local tax authority and want to override the taxes being automatically applied, there's a guide to doing that here.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any difficulties with applying the overrides!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes