How not to charge VAT to non European and USA - Please help!

Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 6

I thought about that, but decided not to do it.

Mainly because normally you won’t see that in webshops.
I also don’t want visitors to see two prices. That’s confusing in my opinion.
I always compare to what Amazon or Zalando would do. They don’t do it, so I won’t either.

I took the time to see your webshop. Really great work!

For example, this product:
https://www.kickgame.co.uk/products/air-jordan-1-mid-se-grey-fog-lemon-wash-da4666-001

When I add it to my cart as a visitor without an account, I see VAT: £0.00

That’s the problem. I’m from the Netherlands and I should see VAT.

Completely understand where you are coming from.

It's actually correct that you don't see VAT on this - https://www.kickgame.co.uk/products/air-jordan-1-mid-se-grey-fog-lemon-wash-da4666-001

Since we are selling it under the UK Margin scheme so do not charge VAT on it - https://www.gov.uk/vat-margin-schemes 

So it is displaying as it should

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 4
This is beyond a joke now. Shopify seem quite happy to take the monthly fee but not prepared to expedite this VAT issue that has gone on for years. We’ve lost many non EU customers as a result of this. Will they reduce our monthly fee to those businesses effected until this is fixed? I suspect not.
3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 3

Seems more and more likely that we could all be moving to another platform, it looks like we're just all talking to ourselves here...................  #we'regonnaputyourideaonfileinafilingcabinet

3 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

@kickgame Do you use any 3rd party marketing/ad accounts? E.g. Facebook Ads or Google Shopping? If so, they will advertise your products without VAT. As a UK customer, this means I'll see a non-VAT price, and then when click through to the product, I'll see a(n increased) inc-VAT price. And I would get annoyed by your 'false' advertising.

Source: we tried the same thing.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 6

@swiftus Yes we actually do a lot, specifically Google Shopping. As I mentioned somewhere else in the thread we use a company called https://www.feedoptimise.com/ who manage our product feed for Google & Facebook and many other platforms, and they simply add an additional 20% to the price in the feed on Taxable Products in Shopify, so we show accurate pricing in all our Ads. Works flawlessly. If you want reach out to Marcin from Feed Optimise, they are well aware of the Shopify issue and have many customers in the same boat that they solve this for.

Thanks,

David

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 4

If there is going to be no progress on this we will be looking at alternative platforms. Just been looking at Shopwired. Anyone got an experience with it?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 4

@Aria, we've now only got 92 days left before UK merchants will be trading outside of the EU customs zone and VAT area. Anything yet you can share?

As you know this is a major issue for those of us that sell into the EU as well as any EU-based stores with a customer base in the UK. I know it is extremely unlikely that Shopify will have made any progress at all on this but thought I'd ask one final time, out of hope rather than expectation really....

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
690 24 234

I understand your frustration, @RobS.

I can only share information that is already public. Our Changelog is the best place for new, public information so any change on this front will be published there.

In most circumstances, we only announce changes when they are ready for launch.

Have you figured out a workaround that will work for your business?

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 6

Well, to me, the phrase "Have you figured out a workaround that will work for your business?" sounds like a solution won't come, except that a solution already exists on other platforms, disappointing really, considering the work I've done.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 7

It really wouldn't take a lot of coding. So the will/desire is not there. I'm not really impressed to see 14 pages of issues with no support on this matter.
It might be worth talking to vitals40 they seem to be switched on- I will ask them. I have 14 days to find a solution otherwise I will be copying and pasting 15 product descriptions into woocommerce.

0 Likes