How not to charge VAT to non European and USA - Please help!

Tourist
7 0 1
Hi,

Did you find a solution to your problems? We have been having issues with VAT and non EU customers for years and Shopify keep ignore us merchants for a request that is SO simple to fix for them.
0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1
And can a Shopify employee please stop ignoring our messages? What’s the point of you being on this forum when you cannot even provide replies to multiple merchant questions?
1 Like
Tourist
6 0 2

I have used the app that was recommended here, and it sort of works. You can check my store at www.racewerk.com
It still can not deduct VAT, but what it can do is showing prices both with VAT and without and checkout does add VAT for EU costumers.
It is sub optimal, but i got no help from Shopify team.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Hello guys!

I was so proud that this issue was solved.
It is in past sense because it does not work for me anymore.
Recently i have discovered that the app is not working. So i have deactivated and reinstalled the latest version.

It resulted in a weird bug:

64407956_675142969582661_2566698861548535808_n.png

Now i had 3 pricing, and security problem, so i have disabled and uninstalled the app.
Now my collection pages show me a big blank screen, the whole shop is broken as is:
Capture2.JPG

What's up with shopify not wanting to conform to EU rules & what is wrong with the app?

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi,  did you find a solution about deducting VAT instead of Adding VAT ? Thanks !

Best

Nicolas

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

It seems like Shipify in general does not give a **bleep** about this very simple request.

There are a few apps present that will show both exl. and incl VAT numbers, and the CART does learn (after you enter the address) if the costumer is inside our outside EU so it deducts TAX accordingly, while you still have to enter the price without VAT.
It is a half ass solution, but does more or less comply to EU rules.

I will not recommend apps this time...they all have drawbacks or a little work involved.
On the other hand Shopify support was very very very helpful every time.

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1

I now about the "solution" with the double prices displayed but it's not really an option for us, thanks anyway.

Does anyone have any experience using a ghost store (in other words a store copy) with re-directs to the actual store? 

It's very exhausting that Shopify keeps ignoring this, perhaps if we keep on bumping this thread to keep it up top, maybe eventually someone from Shopify could at the very least have the decency to reply to us? This is a HUGE issue with Shopfiy and we are thinking about changing platform due to this. Nice job Shopify ignoring the EU market and just prioritising the US. Perhaps Shopify didn't get the memo that the EU actually is a significantly larger market then the US? 

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1

@tilus 

You don't need an actual app to do this, it can be added to the code, however it's a flawed solution. We have a workaround solution where a code is instructing our prices to be multiplied by 1,19 (19% German VAT) and if a customer select a non EU country in the checkout, the VAT is removed. For this to work, we are adding all our prices in admin without VAT. There are a few significant issues with this method though:

- We are unable to display correct prices through 3rd party apps, eg. Instagram where we cannot use the Instagram shop feature. This is because all apps are fetching the prices from admin and because our prices are added without VAT, this is how they are displayed from 3rd party apps. This is not only very bad customer practice (showing a lower price on IG than in the shop) but even more importantly, it violates EU laws and is punishable with a hefty fine for each breach. 

- We are getting some weird prices shown in the shop (eg. €188,99). 

I really wish Shopify could stop ignoring us merchants, heck there are threads from almost 10 years ago where merchants are complaining about this very issue. A piece of advise for Shopify, either unlock the possibility to edit the checkout for other plans than PLUS or even simpler, add this directly into the system and voila!  

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 1

@Aria @Ava @Donohue @Nick @Peter @Katy @Victor @Evan21 

Would any of you perhaps have anything to add to this thread, seeing as this is quite likely the biggest issue we (collective EU merchants) have?

Thank you! 

0 Likes