How to change account EIN?

TJP
17 0 0

Hello,

I would like to update my accounts EIN number to make sure I get the most up to date 1099 for 2020.

May someone please assist me? Shopifys help center is really hard to navigate and unreliable, theres no information on there at all and I cant seem to get ahold of them on the phone.

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Hi, @TJP,

Hank here from Shopify.

Can you tell me a bit more about what you are trying to do? 

Is it a case you need to obtain an EIN, or is it relating to something else?

If needing to obtain an EIN, you can reach out to the IRS to obtain one but I also have more information for you here.

Or if looking to update within Shopify, can you confirm if there is a banner appearing within your Shopify admin, or are you needing to update your EIN within your store for tax reasons?

In order to update tax details, we require federal documentation to support the change. This can be in the form of a Signed and dated W9, SS4, or a CP 575 form. The documentation should include your EIN, address, and legal business name.

If this is correct, let me know and then I can authenticate your store. I can then forward this ticket to my colleagues in escalated support who will add an upload button to your Shopify admin in order to provide this document if it is not showing.

Let me know if this is needed, or if it is relating to something else.

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
maliaefferding
4 0 0

Me too,

Ive been trying to get shopify since December to get my EIN updated and noone has been helpful. They give me the same answer that theyre backed up. So I have yet to get help with ths issue and if anyone has anyway of getting this changed Id appreciate the help. We have to get it corrected before taxes next month

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Thanks for reaching out here, @maliaefferding.

Similar to the above, can you tell me a bit more to see how I can best assist you with this? As we are not tax professionals here, context is key to ensure I can offer you the most relevant information.

Can you tell me a bit more about what you are trying to do? 

You mentioned updating your EIN, Shopify would not update you with this, as this would be better to reach out to the IRS to obtain or update your current one.

But then there is the option to update within Shopify if you have a banner within the admin, or if needing to change for tax details.

As I mentioned above, if looking to update tax details, we require federal documentation to support the change which can be in the form of a Signed and dated W9, SS4, or a CP 575 form. The documentation should include your EIN, address, and your legal business name.

Let me know which situation applies to you here, or if you can share more information, I will assist you further.

0 Likes
maliaefferding
4 0 0

We currently have a ticket with Shopify since December to change our current EIN to our new one. Ticket #21432882. We had advised shopify that these changes needs to be made before we file our taxes. We been told theres a backup since December and we havent heard from anyone since. 

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Thank you so much for the additional context, and for sharing your ticket number with me which allowed me to query with the team.

Please accept my apologies, as between the months of December - April is where the team sees a large spike in cases, due to the end of and upcoming tax year. 

The team has advised me that they have contacted you via ticket #21432882 with some information, which will assist you further with this.

Thanks again, and we appreciate your patience with this.

0 Likes
starstrung
3 0 0

Hi @Hank I also posted about having my EIN changed and was given a ticket number: 21584667 in late december/early January that has not been followed up on by the Tax team. 

0 Likes
Hank
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1075 120 169

Thank you for reaching out about this, @starstrung.

I can see your ticket was escalated in early January and is assigned to the team to review. They have not received the case yet due to the high number of requests that came in throughout November and December, but they have advised they are going to reach out to you with an update once they receive your case.

Thank you for your patience with this, and all updates will be provided via ticket #21584667.

0 Likes