How to deal with customs and taxes in EU, Canada and USA?

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0
Hi, I have almost finished my shop and it is very close to being launched. However, I have been taken off course by something I am unable to solve on my own, I hope someone can answer my questions so I can move on. First, what I have so far; I have a supplier from China, we are working closely with them. I have a good product that I want to sell to the US, Canada, and Europe. Before I address the elephant in the room here is where this question arose and what got me stuck; I ordered the samples for my products and all seemed to go well until they arrived from China to Estonia (EU country). We shipped with DHL around 6 days. When they got here I got an e-mail letting me know that my order is stuck in customs and before it can be released I have to declare it by paying the import tax. (N.B - For my product, I only have to cover the import tax, no duty rate, and this goes for all the countries I want to ship to. So, to declare my order I went to the tax and customs webpage, I had to put in the DHL tracking number, product category, product price, quantity and shipping cost. (Also our product price on which the tax is calculated was much lower as they were samples) It wasn't a difficult process but this will cause problems when shipping to clients...

What we want to know:
- What would be the best option for us as the seller and for our customers to get through customs and more precisely paying the import tax because there is a huge difference between the selling price and buying price? I will bring an example (we buy for 80$ and pay 35$ shipping, we sell for 250$ with "free" shipping to end-customers however the tax also includes shipping price so they have to pay a lot ).
- If someone orders from our store then what price has to be on the invoice? (The price that we pay for the product or the price that we sell it for)
- If the original price has to be on the invoice (supplier/factory price) then how will the declaration process go for the client as the factory price and shipping price is different than the one they paid?
- If the selling price (price on Shopify) has to be on the invoice then how can my Chinese supplier put it on the invoice as they received a different sum?
- Is it okay for the customer (generally in these situations) to declare their order on their own or should we as the seller organize this process?

- How do we solve this situation? Should we collect taxes at the checkout or let the customers deal with this at customs? We are just very confused about this as we haven't had products before that went into this price category (our products are from 70 euros to 300 euros).

In general, we have read a lot but haven't come up with a solution that would be best for everyone, hoping someone has had the same problem and can help us solve this! Thank you very much in advance!
0 Likes