I need help with Laws and Taxes

Highlighted
Tourist
12 2 5

Hello!

I am from the UK.

I have recently made a store https://workoutsmatter.co.uk/ and have made a couple sales. Products are able to be bought anywhere in the world and as such I am very worried about breaking any laws and what taxes I have to pay. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
689 24 231

Hey!

Aria here, one of the Social Care gurus at Shopify.

Congratulations on starting your new business.

I understand, accounting and taxes can be intimidating when you're new to business. To get accurate advice, you will need to consult with an accountant or another tax professional in the UK. It can be complex, it's important to get it right. It's certainly not worth the risk, taking advice on this from people on the forums.

That being said, this guide is a good place to start to put your mind at rest until you can get professional advice.

How is your business going otherwise?

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 2 5

The business is going alright, I know there is massive grounds for improvement all over but I'm happy having made 2 sales so far.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I clicked on the link but the webpage no longer works. Yes, it leads to a webpage (https://www.shopify.ca/blog/14926393-the-definitive-legal-guide-to-ecommerce?utm_campaign=Guru+Ask&u...), which then eventually leads to this page of Shopify community. Where is the legal guide to ecommerce?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
689 24 231

That's great, you have made two sales. You have done a great job with your store overall.

It's a good idea to adjust your blog post images so that they are all the same shape and size. It looks off-balance because the first one is smaller:

I would edit your announcement bar to make it clearer if the free shipping is worldwide or just in your home country:

You will build more trust with your customers if you put a mailing address on your Contact page. It will make your business look less anonymous. Using the Facebook Messenger channel is a great idea too. Not only can you use it to sell more products but it's a quick and easy way for potential customers to reach out to you. You're likely to check it more often than email and you can respond on your phone when you're out and about. The faster a visitor gets an answer to their question, the more likely they are to place an order. I have personally found customers are more likely to use Facebook or Instagram than email to communicate, especially if you are building an online community to help build your brand.

A FAQ page can answer a lot of questions without the need to contact you at all. Customers will be curious how long shipping is likely to take, where products ship from and to. You can even include your refund policy on the FAQ page and make it personal to your store. The Refund Policy you're using is the standard generated policy and contains information that isn't relevant to your store.

You've done an amazing job building your Facebook following and it looks like you're utilizing that, posting regularly. It looks like you're off to a good start with your Instagram following as well. Have you checked out the free courses on Shopify Academy? We have an Instagram Marketing course on there as well as email marketing and SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

I love the fact you have a blog on your store. It gives people a reason beyond the product to keep visiting and will help boost your SEO.

I'm excited to see where you go with this store.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
689 24 231

Hey!

The link you posted is the same one I posted (mine was just a shortened version of it) and it takes me straight to the Legal Guide to Ecommerce when I click on it:

01-48-ujpr1-aqgbs

I hope you can access it this time. It might be worth trying a different browser if you're still having issues.

0 Likes
2 0 0
Yes but there is no actual contents on that page and asks users to click on ANOTHER link, which is the very first page of this community with no answers. In sum, the link does not work.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
689 24 231

Ah, I understand what you're saying now. I apologize.

I am going to reach out to our blog team to try to get this fixed. In the meantime, I've found a link that works properly. Please try this one.

Let me know if you have any further issues.

0 Likes