Is taxes linked to shipping address or the currency used to pay?

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi. The website i'm working on is Philippine based and I'm wondering how taxes will work inside shopify.

Scenario:
My aunt abroad, say US, wants to buy me tea. She wants to pay in USD but wants the product delivered to me in the Philippines, where I currently live. Our law says that when the sale is made inside the Philippines, the buyer needs to pay taxes. Just want clarification on this matter.

Thank you.

YM

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1495 54 167

Hi YM, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

The first thing I always say is to reach out and speak to a professional account or your local tax office about your taxes as this is something which changes per country and something Shopify has no control over. The taxes you apply would be dependent on your local tax laws. Shopify has a helpful guide for Non-US taxes which you might find useful and can see here

Hope this helps and gives you some direction on the best next steps to take with this. Any other questions, just let me know. 

All the best, Nick

P.S. I have also moved your post to the Taxes topic as it fits in much better there rather than Shopify discussion. 

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi Nick,

Thanks. This helped a lot.

Best,

YM

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1495 54 167

Hi YM, 

No problem at all. My pleasure. 

Taxes can be difficult to figure out on the best of days, but one thing I cannot stress enough is to visit your local tax office or a professional accountant. It is something I did recently when setting up my own store and I can express how much it put my mind at ease. 

Wishing you the best. 

Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes