Micro Multi National set up

Faye_Smith
18 0 0

Hello all helpful people!

I have a US site and corresponding LLC for handmade shoes.  We do most of our manufacturing in Spain and are creating a Spanish company also to make it easier for our EU clients to buy without shipping everything to the US first.

Is there a way to keep 1 website, but have US sales go to 1 business (the LLC) while EU sales go to another (SL)?  

Or is there a way to take the sale on the US site, but dropship from Spain and collect and remit the VAT properly?  Kind of like a cooperative where revenues are separated?

Thanks in advance!

Faye

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
812 27 275

Hi Faye,

I'm Aria, a Social Care guru at Shopify. :)

The biggest problem with only having one website is that you can only have one currency at checkout. If your checkout is in US dollars, you could have a currency converter to display your prices in Euro but customers would still be paying in USD when they go to checkout, which may be off-putting to them, especially if they know the product is shipping from Spain. 

I'm not sure how your fulfilment works. If it is manual, it would be fine. You could just let your staff know if the customer's address is in Europe, the Spanish warehouse should fulfil it and for all other addresses, the American warehouse does the shipping. If you've got some sort of automatic fulfilment set up, you may need more of a workaround. 

For sales tax or VAT, you can set that up for sure. You'd just create an additional presence for tax purposes. This guide explains how to edit your tax settings. The main complication I can think of is that North American's expect the tax to be added to the price at checkout and European's expect it to be included already. You can only choose one of those options for each store. 

It would certainly be simpler if you opened a second store for Europe. We can do a multi-store discount when you are selling the same products but for different countries. It must be the same brand but with different currencies OR different languages and you need to be on the Shopify plan ($79) or above. If you are paying $79 per month for the first store, you can get the same plan on the second (and subsequent) stores for $29 per month. If you do decide to go with that option, please reach out to our support team and we will escalate that to billing for you. Our contact details are here.

I hope you manage to figure out a solution that works for you. We are always here if you have more questions. :)

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Faye_Smith
18 0 0

Thank you, Aria! 

We do manual fulfillment so can merely send the order to our Spain people for fulfillment.  We know how to set up the VAT and have evem found the right apps to do the currency conversion all the way thru checkout (not sure how it works but Bold Currency w Bold Cashier says they can do that).

But the issue is the VAT monies and how to send that over.  For Spain, you need to show the proof of sale to uibmit the VAT.  Fine, but the proof of sale belongs to our US company while the Spain company is who needs to submit the VAT.

Is there a cooperative type of setting where multiple businesses can be the tax account for a store depending on where things are sold to?

Best,

Faye

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
812 27 275

Hi Faye,

There is no special setting for that directly in the admin. You can certainly set it up so that different tax percentages are charged to customers in different countries. You can also choose to either include tax in all of your prices or add it on at checkout.

You would just get one tax report for the whole store. You would be able to sort your report by country so that you'd know how much to submit in your US taxes and European taxes. 

I hope that helps. 

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

0 Likes
Faye_Smith
18 0 0

Thanks Aria,

Sorry I missed your reply.

I guess the simplest solution is to 

-create a 2nd shopify store

-get an inventory sync app

-redirect european customers to 2nd shopify store from the first

Can you recommend an app that will sync inventories/product descriptions/photos and do it for multiple currencies with currency rules?  I see so many apps but cannot seem to find one that does multi currency while syncing photos, descriptions?

Best,

Faye

0 Likes
Faye_Smith
18 0 0

Ok, tried to set up a second store.

When I do it on Shopify.com, it says I already have an account and shop and sends me my account.  On my account there is nothing to select opening another shop.

I asked customer service, they said go to shopify.com... ugggh, do i need to open another account with another email address?

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
812 27 275

Hi Faye,

Aria here. ?

You can have as many stores as you like with the same email address. We don't restrict you on that. You just need to ensure you choose a unique name for your store to differentiate it from the other store you already have. It can be a similar name, just not exactly the same. You would go here to take out a new free trial, enter your email address then click Get Started. You'll then create a password and a new store name on the name page. Keep in mind, you'll be able to use your custom domain to mask the Shopify domain. 

You can export all of your product information from one store and import to another, using CSV. You can also transfer customer data and theme settings. This guide explains more about how to do that. I imagine your inventory count would be different for each store since the products would be shipping from different locations. You can change the prices on the CSV before uploading to the new store. 

Let me know if you have more questions about that. 

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

0 Likes
NKL-ER
8 0 0

Hi Aria,

I have a similar question but the opposite way round - we have a UK based store that ships internationally but would like to set up a US specific, $ based store without the VAT. Does the same still apply as above? We can set up a second store with US based tax settings and USD pricing?

Thanks

0 Likes
Faye_Smith
18 0 0

Hi Aria and EarlyRider,

I am wondering if the paperwork I would get (a report) is sufficient to pay the VAT in Spain?  Technically, that report is a US company submitting a VAT payment?

Best,

Faye

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
812 27 275

Hey!

Yes, this would apply to you too. You can set up your second store on a free trial. As long as the products and brand are the same and you just need the second store for a different country and currency, you can reach out to us and we'll escalate to billing for you to get the multi-store discount. You'll need to ensure the other store is already on the $79 plan or above. 

Let me know if you have more questions. ?

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

0 Likes