Need to charge sales tax for just in-state orders (Texas), no nexus in other states

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

I ship from Texas and need to know how to charge sales tax only for orders within Texas. I have no nexus in other states (and I don't ship to Kansas since I don't want to deal with the sales tax issue there) so I cleared the boxes that charge tax on products so taxes aren't charged on every other US state, but that doesn't solve my problem of needing to charge sales AND county/local taxes for products I'm shipping within Texas. Is there another way to do this? I do not ship internationally. my site is https://hand-marbled-designs.myshopify.com

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
263 27 45

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @mommy071852,

Hyde here from Shopify. Interesting question!

Shopify's tax system works on a per-country basis. It is not currently possible natively to apply custom taxes to single states. That said, Shopify automatically applies taxes to your orders in line with the tax laws of Texas state, as outlined here, and here's a screenshot of the relevant section:
20-06-7i4jj-v4cn6

And here's how the system applies taxes automatically:

20-06-uhprx-y9ct6

In other words, you should be good to go by default within our system.

I hope this helps! However, if you have any other questions please do let me know.

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

I see--I changed the box to charge sales tax on all my items, but didn't put in a sales tax ID in any state except Texas. So during testing, it now shows no taxes for states except for Texas addresses.  One question, though- I tested a Texas address that is listed as having an 8.25% sales tax rate (includes state and local/county tax rates) and the sales tax was listed as $2.89 when by my calculations (charging sales tax on the product item and shipping cost) should have been $2.88 (using a calculator on a $30 product and $4.90 shipping cost it shows as $2.87925 so should round up to $2.88).  Is there a reason for the discrepancy?

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Hyde, I replied to you asking a follow up Texas sales tax question. Would you please take a look?

0 Likes