New Zealand GST (from Vend)

Highlighted
2 0 1

Hello, 

We are using Vend and have set up our store with a cost price and GST of 15%. In doing this, Shopify takes the GST exclusive price and does not add GST to the displayed sales price. Legally we have to present prices including tax to customers. The only way to fix this is to increase the Vend price by the GST amount, and then turn tax to zero %. Which means customers dont get a GST receipt in the physical store. 

Any work arounds or system functionality to fix this? Im sure everyone is having the same issue in NZ and AU.

Andrew

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
259 3 66

Hi Andrew, 

Lisa here from the Social Care Team at Shopify. 

I'm wondering how you've set up your GST to calculate from Shopify's end. To ensure they're correct I'll just run over how they should be set up to calculate for NZ: 

You can set taxes for your store on the Settings → Taxes page in your Shopify admin.

If you are missing New Zealand in the Tax rates list of countries, you will need to add it as a shipping zone first. Go to the Settings → Shipping page, click Add shipping zone and add New Zealand.

Once you have New Zealand included in your Tax rates list, you can set up its taxes.

To set up tax rates for Australia:

1. Go to the Settings → Taxes page in your Shopify admin and click on New Zealand.
  2. Set up the 15% GST tax by entering 15 into the Country Tax field.
  3. Leave the states and territories with 0% tax and choose added to 15% federal tax from the drop-down.

Here's a preview of tax settings for an Australian Shopify store.

Also, ensure you select "All taxes are included in my prices" from the Settings → Taxes page. This way the break down will be shown for your customers, and not added on additionally. After you've set up the tax settings for your online sales, follow this document to ensure your taxes are also set up correctly in Vend.

Hope this all helps! Here's some additional information about Shopify Vend Integration

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply back. 

- Lisa ?

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi Lisa,

Yes we have correctly set up Tax in Shopify. Here is the scenario, if an item is $10 ex GST and $11.50 incl GST in Vend, the $10 ex GST price comes over to Shopify. With tax set up correctly in Shopify, the displayed price on the website shows as $10, and then when processing the sale through the cart GST is then added to the price and sells the item at $11.50 to the customer. All that is fine BUT in NZ its illegal to advertise the GST ex price, so we need $11.50 to be the price on the webiste, and then through the shopping cart it sell for $11.50 which includes $1.50 of GST. To get around this, right now we have had to set tax at 0% in Vend and add GST to the cost price, so we have $11.50 as the cost price and $0 in GST. That way the right price to present to the customer goes to Shopify and we turn tax off so it doesnt add it again... not good. Help?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Lisa,

Did you ever get an answer about this?  We are going through the same only we use unleashed software.

Cheers

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Lisa, was this problem ever resolved by Shopify?

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 2

I have this problem too... it's pretty bad that Shopify does not seem able to handle the tax basics of international sales. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion for a platform which does allow international sales?

0 Likes