Not charging taxes to everyone

Tourist
5 0 1
Yes! So helpful, thank you!
0 Likes
2 0 0
Hello, excuse my ignorance in this kind of matter but are you saying that we have to be registered to charge taxes in the state we reside/run our business (Texas) and not charge taxes to other states?
0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 0

Yes, that's exactly what the last poster is saying.  I was incorrectly under the impression that we had to charge tax on purchases going to states other than Texas.  Apparently we just charge sales tax for sales in Texas (as a Texas business).

0 Likes
2 0 0
Thank you. I’m new to all this, so I guess I will have to go register to
charge taxes here in the state of Texas. ##- Please type your reply above
this line -##
0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 0
Yes, but only if your business is located here in Texas (we are a brick and
mortar store with an online presence).
0 Likes
Excursionist
10 0 4

Hi jomercito31, 

Regarding not charging taxes in other states please keep in mind that statement applies as long as your business does not have physical presence (traditional nexus) in any other state nor exceeded the threshold of a state's economic nexus law, most of which are set at $100,000 of sales or 200 transactions during the previous or current calendar year while others require both meaning $100,000 and 200 transactions or higher dollar thresholds or use a lower transaction count or exclude the transaction count.  If you have more specific questions feel free to email me at jerry.shopify@tsttllc.com

1 Like
2 0 0

so do you still have to file sales taxes on items you sell out of state since you don't have to charge sales tax on them?

0 Likes
Excursionist
10 0 4
Hi lightning_art
Sorry but I don’t understand your question. Please call me to clarify 713-858-0085
0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 0

No.  You only file state sales tax in the state you are physically located in.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I know I only have to file taxes for the state that I live in, but what I'm asking is if I need to file taxes on items that I sold in a different state with the taxes that I file for items that I sold in my state that I live in or if I don't need to file anything on items that I sell out of state. Example. I live in Minnesota so if I sell something for $20, there is a sales tax of $1.48 that gets added on. If I sell the same item in North Dakota and it doesn't get taxed, do I still have to pay $1.48 of it towards taxes and really only make $18.52 or do I not have to pay any kind of tax on that item since it was sold to a different state.

0 Likes