Not charging taxes to everyone

Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 19
Hi aldesaf
I’ll be happy to discuss on a phone call, 713-858-0085.
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

This was a great explanation. Do you have a tax service come tax season!?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 19
Hi RyanAnderson,

Thank you for the inquiry. My company specializes in multi-state sales and use tax consulting and return preparation services and does not provide federal and state income tax services. However we do work with many CPA and other accounting firms as a resource for their clients sales and use tax needs. If you'd like more info about my company please email jerry.shopify@tsttllc.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I have a question to the tax pro Jerry! I’m in WA state and will be selling online from my home. From what I gathered earlier on in this thread or another is that taxing in states outside of your origin is dependent on if your state is origin or destination based. Is that right? It seems that WA is destination based - therefore Shopify should automatically collect sales tax from my buyers dependent on their shipping address? 
thank you in advance

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 19
Hi Jesskah,
Thanks for the question. Taxing in states outside of your origin (where your located in WA) is not dependent on whether your state is origin or destination based. It is instead dependent on whether or not your business has established physical nexus or economic nexus in a particular state (I've explained nexus elsewhere in this topic). When you establish nexus in another state then you have to enable tax collection in Shopify for that state.

The meaning of origin vs destination based state describes how the state sources the tax rate to use on sales that are delivered to a customer ONLY in that state. Destination means the tax rate is sourced to the location where the product is shipped within that state. Origin means the tax rate is sourced to the sellers location on sales shipped within that state. If the seller does not have a location in the origin based state then the tax rate of the destination is used.

Hope this explanation helped.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

My shop is not charging taxes. I applied for a Tax permit, entered the registration code and all the products are showing taxable. My customers are also not "non-taxable." Also, I am not receiving orders from other countries at the moment. I am not sure what else to do. The customers are coming from others states if that matters. 

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 19
Hi Madhattertees,
Please call me 713-858-0085 to discuss further so that I can provide you with a solution.
0 Likes