Not charging taxes to everyone

AshleyCole
4 0 0

I don't get it either. My business license is in WV and my store is only adding tax for customers in WV nowhere else!! That means I have to pay for their tax? I am so confused. I have done every override. I can't add in every state there isn't even an option for it. Did you figure out a solution, no one can help me? 

0 Likes
AshleyCole
4 0 0

How did you do it? I cant figure it out? Do you add it in after they place the order? 

0 Likes
allison_wilcox
Tourist
9 0 15
Hey there Ashley!

Here's what I do. Customers in Texas get charged sales tax. No one else
does and we are small enough that it's not an issue (to worry about having
to pay sales tax in other states).

Every month I go through our sales ledger and add up the amount of sales
that we did not charge taxes on. When we do our sales tax report with the
state, there's a box for non taxable sales. (all of the out of state stuff
and any tax exempt in state sales). We just enter the number there and pay
sales tax based on what taxes we actually charged in state customers. I
hope that makes sense
AshleyCole
4 0 0

Did you figure out a way to tax and collect the taxes?

0 Likes
DowningHouse
Tourist
8 0 1
You only collect and pay sales tax for your state. You are not required to
collect sales tax for other states. Check your state online...but that's
how it is in MO where I am.
0 Likes
DowningHouse
Tourist
8 0 1

Ashley - 

My problem sounds a bit different than yours. My problem wasn't that it was only charging sales tax in MO [because that is correct for MO]. My problem was that the city tax was being added and my business is not in city limits so I am not required to collect for the city. I was trying to do an override for that issue. In your case, I think it may be working correctly as in many states you do not have to collect [or pay] sales tax for online transactions for other states. You will need to make sure your states is one of those states.

0 Likes
rosevelt15
1 0 0

I want to make sure I'm not making an error when it come to collecting taxes in IL. Shopify is only collecting taxes in the state of IL and not anywhere else. I do not have a nexus in another state, and want to make sure that I'm not going to be on the hook for out of state sales tax. Should I only be worried about sales tax in the state of IL?

Thanks for your help in advance,

0 Likes
Bbulls
1 0 0

I live in Texas abs sold to someone in New Mexico. Shopify charged my usual Texas tax.  I don’t think it should and can’t figure out how to change it. 

0 Likes
AshleyCole
4 0 0
I have the same problem. I was on the phone for hours and no one could help me. I need to charge my sales tax and it literally won’t.
0 Likes
CowboyChannel
2 0 0

How do you change the sales tax for each state?  Did you use the same percentage as your current state?

0 Likes