Operating from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

1 0 0

Hey guys,

I need HELP!

I'm from Montreal, Quebec, Canada and I'm currently opening my first Shopify Store. My goal is to start a clothing brand and to sell my products through Print on Demand. Now, I'm trying to abide by all the laws and I want every single aspect of my online store to be legit. So I've obtained my NEQ (basically means that I've registered my company) and the next step was setting up my financial dues (taxes, etc.) now seeing as this is going to be my first year of operation, I don't plan on selling over $30,000 so I'd be considered a small supplier

That said, I'm not required by law to charge taxes on sold products (GST/HST). However, a specific law requires all Clothing Manufacturers (small suppliers included) to charge GST/HST and to file a monthly report (VDZ-350.49-V, Subcontracting Expenses Information Return along with my QST) to the government. I plan on using Print on Demand to sell my products and so my question is: am I considered a clothing manufacturer? I mean, the piece of clothing has already been manufactured and I'm only adding my designs on them.

Also, on their website it says that I could be exempt from being required to do so if: 'clothing made solely for the needs of your business or for sale'

Have you had any similar cases?
I need help in regards to operating in Montreal.

Anything helps

Have a nice day!

Joel Fong Ruelle Apparel™
0 Likes
Tourist
16 0 1

Hi I'm also from Montreal! I'm in exactly the same dilemma haha

Following your post for future replies

0 Likes
9 0 0

Hey Joel

I can't help you with your dilemma in Montreal but I hope you get it resolved soon. I can help you with the printing of your garments. We are a screen printing company in Alberta that been in business for 12 years. We are currently working on integration with big e-commerce platforms. We also have two top of the line Kornit DTG printers being delivered in the next couple weeks. These machines will allow us to print on many different types of fabric including cotton, organic, polyester, tri-blend, denim, spandex, bamboo and a handful of fabric types. Feel free to contact me if you have questions regarding our services. info@customimagewear.ca

0 Likes
1 0 0

It's correct that you do not need a tax number, 

Unless 

- Importing products from USA or UK

- Net sales over 30k 

- or dealing with schools or government

I have run a both a retail store, in the clothing business offering screen printing, direct to garment printing and embroidery for over 8 years, only last year I made over 50k so I had to get a tax number. 

Frank Tshirt Junction, St. Thomas Ontario Canada

0 Likes