Out of state sales taxes (again)

Highlighted
3 0 0

I've been reading up on the collection of internet sales taxes and still unclear.  As I understand it I charge sales tax for items I sell in Texas because my physical presence is in Texas.  Since I have nothing outside of Texas and no nexus then I don't charge sales tax for the other 49 states.

However I read that some states will start collecting sales tax no matter if you have no nexus within their state.  I also read that there are thresholds that define whether or not you collect sales tax.

I assume that the merchant account will add the appropriate taxes to a sale generated on my site. I'm assuming that in a Texas sale I get those taxes which I in turn will pay to Texas but what about the state taxes collected for an out of state sale? 

Clear as mud!  Where can I go to get a good clarification of internet sales tax?  Would a tax professional/accountant be up to speed on this? 

Thanks for looking.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

O.k. I found a place that gave me some information that cleared this up for me. Short answer is if I have over $100K in sales or 200 transactions in a year then I have to collect and remit taxes. 

Now my next question is how to not charge sales tax since I am not over the threshold except of in state sales tax.  More reading to do.

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/blog/accounting/economic-nexus-laws-by-state/

0 Likes