Paypal UK

Alex_A_1
3 0 0

What rate of the Paypal transaction fee charge for UK Shopify stores?

0 Likes
Genevieve_Shan1
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
130 0 24

Hey there Alex!

Genevieve from Shopify here :) 

There are two types of cost associated with processing ecommerce orders. 

• Credit card rates are charged by your payment gateway provider (i.e. PayPal) for the transfer of funds from your customer's account to your own.
  • Transaction fees are charged by your shopping cart platform (i.e. Shopify) for the use of our checkout system. These are as follows: 2% for the Lite and Basic plans, 1% for the Professional plan, and 0.5% for the Unlimited plan. If you have Shopify Payments enabled as a payment gateway we will waive these transaction fees!

So we will charge 0.5%, 1% or 2% transaction fees depending on your plan with Shopify. Or 0% if you have Shopify Payments enabled :) 

The credit card rates applied by PayPal will vary depending on the service you use, so you'll need to check with them for a quotation: https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/home

Hope that helps! 

Genevieve S.

0 Likes
Alex_A_1
3 0 0

Hi Genevieve, yes I'm specifically looking for the fees Paypal charge for Shopify. PayPal directed me to this forum so I'm hoping somebody here can help out. 

0 Likes
Alex_A_1
3 0 0

Also, I have Shopify payments enabled but have always been charged 2% transaction fees even when 'Payment Method' is 'Shopify Payments'?

0 Likes
Dan_Bernard
Explorer
55 0 47

Hello, I am trading from the UK with both Paypal and Shopify Payments.

Re Paypal's rates, log in to your Paypal account, go to the footer and click "fees".  On that page go to teh section headed "seeling with Paypal", and click on the link marked "check out our volume rates".  That pops up a window with a table showing the basic rate (under £1500/month) and the tiered reduced rates foir higher selling volumes.  Note that you have to apply to get reduced rates - they don't apply them automatically - see para at the bottom of the window.

Re transaction charges from Shopify, the transaction fees for payments made through Shopify Payments is 2% if you're on the basic plan.  But the 2% charge per transaction that is made if you've not enabled Shopify Payments - which is part of the charging structure for Shopify itself along with the fixed monthly./annual fee - should have disappeared.  If you are still seeing a 2% transaction charge as part of your monthly Shopify bill - as opposed to the transaction fees deducted from payments made through Shopify Payments - then I suggest you raise a support ticket to Shopify (support@shopify.com)

Hope that helps

Dan 

0 Likes
Genevieve_Shan1
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
130 0 24

Thanks for chiming in Dan! And good call on the PayPal rates - the UK pricing page for PayPal can be found here:
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Is it possible, Alex, that the charges you are seeing for the Shopify Payments gateway is the credit card rate we charge? These are outlined on our pricing page, and in the UK are as follows: 2.2% + 20p on the Lite and Basic plans, 1.9% + 20p on the Professional plan, and 1.6% + 20p on the Unlimited plan. These are separate to transaction fees.
https://www.shopify.co.uk/pricing

I'm reaching out to you directly by email so we can take a look at your account specifically, and ensure that those are the only charges being applied.

Cheers!

Genevieve S.

0 Likes