Please Help! how do I enter taxes?

Solved
Tourist
8 0 3

I just realized my site is not collecting taxes for everyone. I am really confused if I need to manually enter the tax base for all the states or should shopify automatically add it in if I indicated taxes are to be collected? the person I spoke (virtually) to just sent me a link to a page I read and didn't understand which was why I contacted them! I did a POS in two states and it seems to collect taxes from people purchasing on line from there, but even then it  is inconsistent. Thanks for any advice. Pam

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
153 37 58

Hello, 

You can manually set taxes or have it automatically calculate taxes. 

To modify your tax settings go to Settings > Taxes. From there you will click on the "Tax Region" you want to edit and will be sent to another screen where you will enter your physical store locations. At the top of the page, you will see a checkbox to automatically calculate taxes. That page will be what you need. If you have multiple regions, make sure to comb through all of your regions. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Did I provide you with a working solution? Give me an Approved Solution!

Likes are appreciated as well :)
0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 3
Hi! thank you so much for responding. However, I lost you after Tax
regions... this is what I see. Someone else whom I am no longer working
with set it up this far for me and I assumed it was right.
[image: image.png]
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
153 37 58

@pjmmpls 

The image did not attach to your last message. Once you're in Settings > Taxes.... Next to Tax Regions there will either be a setup or edit button there. If you click into that, you can set your tax rates for that specific region. Then, you will just need to do that for all regions of which you ship to. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 4.49.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 4.50.23 PM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I am reading this string and do not see my answer to the same question. 

I have (calculate taxes automatically checked), I have each product checked to collect taxes, none of the customers are exempt, and Shopify did not collect the sales tax when an item sold.  

My physical presence is Florida-Lee County; I added this in and it does show it correctly.

With this said, the sale did not include the sales tax to customers in Arkansas and New Jersey.   

What am I doing wrong??

Thank you !!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Expert
153 37 58

@pjmmpls @rainbowblueshop 

It's hard to answer without having a look at how your store is currently setup. However, Shopify has great documentation revolving around this subject. I would recommend reading through this: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/taxes Also, please make sure you click the text links because there is a TON of information throughout the documentation. 

0 Likes
1 0 1

Hi,

If I sell my products all over the United States, I will have to enter each state and county for sales taxes? How Shopify auotmate this step for store owners who sell their products all over? 

1 Like
Tourist
10 0 0

Hi,

I'm going through this very issue currently and after a very long Shopify Guru chat, I'm waiting to hear what a "billing team" has to offer as a solution. Currently there isn't even a place to specify a destination state that should have taxes collected! And the help instructions tell you to change certain settings that I can't even find on my Taxes dashboard...  Of course, if Shopify collected taxes for every state that requires it, sends it along with the proceeds of an order we would simply remit it as required. Ideally, they would have a tax table that they would maintain as new states raised their hand to say they now require taxes to be collected to and we wouldn't have to worry about whether we were personally knowledgeable about these things on top of all the other things going on with our businesses. I know that the list of destination states requiring taxes is growing all the time.

I fully expect that this list will grow and grow until all states and territories are ultimately in it and, if Shopify isn't going to keep track for us, it would sure be nice if they at least provided a way to manually specify a state ourselves. It isn't ideal but at least it would protect us when it's time to file taxes -- which of course varies by state and could be monthly, quarterly or annually... Would be nice to have a partner who did the most basic activity of at least collecting the taxes and giving them to us so we can pay them as they're paid on each order. Otherwise, I'm assuming we will have to pay out of our own pockets and I surely can't afford to do that...

When I get an answer from Shopify I will post here so you will know what can be done as well.

Best,

Jo-Lynn

0 Likes
1 0 0

I too would like an answer to this question.  Given that a majority of states now require out of state sellers to collect sales tax on as little as 100 transactions, it would be nice to know that at the very least we can select which states we need to collect tax in.  Although to be honest I don't think states should have such low transaction requirements to begin with.

0 Likes
2 0 0

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I just had an order from TX and NO SALES tax was paid! I have the automatically collect taxes box checked. Shouldn't shopify automatically calculate the tax then? PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

0 Likes