Products with Taxable and Nontaxable Items

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Hello,

I sell gift packages that include both nontaxable food items and taxable gift items. Is there a way that I can indicate the retail price of the taxable item(s) so that Shopify calculates the sales tax for that item only versus the entire gift package? If not, what would be the best solutions to work-around it so the customer is charged the correct sales tax amount?

In case it helps, my current theme is Debut and my website is: https://evergreengiftbasketco.com.

Thank you for your help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

I have this same question, but I have not found a solution. Would you mind posting how to resolve this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3
Hi!

I haven't received a solution for this yet from Shopify. I did try a bundle
building app but it didn't resolve the issue either as my choices were
still to either charge tax on the entire bundle or none at all.

I'm in California and consulted with our state tax department for guidance
for this "all or nothing" situation and was advised to charge sales tax on
the whole gift if the gift contained taxable items and remit the collected
tax to the state when I file my sales tax return. I assume these rules may
vary by state so I'd recommend consulting with your state too (if you're
not in CA). It's not ideal but hopefully there's a better solution for this
soon.
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Thank you for your reply. Seems like this would be an easy fix. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
83 4 11

Hello, this is an interesting problem. I am a developer working on making an app for Shopify and was curious how common this issue was. Do you currently use any of the leading tax apps and do they have any facility to solve this? (TaxJar, Avalara, Taxify, etc.)? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
83 4 11

Would it work if the shopping cart was split into two transactions - one with taxable items and one with the exempt items? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

I don’t use a tax app. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

This might work. My specific issue is selling gift baskets that are taxable and now I’d like to up sell customers by adding a gift card to their order that is nontaxable. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
83 4 11

It sounds like you will need to customize your checkout procedure in order to accomplish this. See the Checkout API. Here is a diagram of the flow:

shopify-vault

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

If the gift card and gift basket are two separate products in one order, that should work with taxes being calculated appropriately for the gift basket only. I have a "create a gift" option where customers can add multiple items in one order and the tax has automatically calculated for the taxable items only. It is with pre-designed gift baskets that I have the issue since I can't separate the taxable/non-taxable products within the gift basket or manually enter the taxable amount when setting up the product. 

0 Likes