Regional Support: Taxes (UK)

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

Thanks again for your help

Unfortunately I don't think this solves the problem. Shopify lumps all taxes together into one total for each order (not each line). So if there are multiple items in the order, at different tax rates, then it is impossible to extract the individual tax rates and amounts without manually analysing each order.

Of course I could Tag every product which has non-standard tax, and there is a field in the order transaction data titled "Tags" (Column BE in Excel) but Shopify does not seem to write any data in here.......... perplexing.

FB

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

One way to generate correct tax calculations is to have tax override for specific collections. You can then add products to such collections and keep those hidden.

Frankly, this is a very daft solution from Shopify.  Ideally, it should support all the various tax classes, but instead it just bundles in a single tax rate. The problem with the above approach is reconcilliation with accounting systems, as the order export will not match the tax rates. Unless you manually do this line by line. For us being a B2B wholesaler, its unnecessary manual work.

Just counting days to get off shopify and have a better platform. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

@pb-ms

I saw Victor's advice to you about the "Collections" work-around but it doesn't help much as I cannot report the Revenue and Taxes from selected Collections.

Is it cheeky to ask you which package you hope to move to? 

FB

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
571 51 138

Hi @FrancisByng,

I don't believe this is the perfect solution, but when you export orders via CSV, the file will include a breakdown of each tax rate that was included in the order, rather than lumping them together. I tested this on my own staff store just now and can show you an example.

I bought two products from my store—bananas, which are not included in any override and therefore come with the default tax charge at 20% VAT, and some apples, which I applied a tax override for of 10%. You can see the two differing tax rates applied to each product here in the order:

20-08-n903m-fo9he

I then exported the order to CSV, and in the file both tax rates and the amount charged for each appeared here:

20-08-18zbh-m23jm

Granted, this data does not show you which products were charged at which tax rate, but it does show you for each order how much money was charged at each tax rate, so you could use this data to total up how much was charged at differing tax rates for numerous orders.

I hope this is of some use to you. Please let me know if you've further questions.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Its still is very inefficient. I want to automatically export the order to Xero and ensure correct VAT classification is done to automate digital filling. None of the add-ons support this. Our B2B customers have also pushed back to this incorrect way to calculating taxes.

Shopify - you got to be serious about this. You are not making things easy for a UK business. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
571 51 138

Hi @pb_ms,

Thank you for providing your feedback here. I completely sympathize with this and understand why not having this data more readily available is a problem for you and your business. I will be submitting your comments to our development team for their consideration and will be sure to emphasize why this issue is problematic. 

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi Victor,

This is such an important thread. Thanks for maintaining it.

I am under the £85k threshold and should not be charging VAT, however, when I go to edit my United Kingdom Tax Settings, I am unable to edit the base tax rate. Please help.

nssdw_0-1600175944020.png

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
571 51 138

Hi @nssdw,

Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad to hear that you've find this thread useful. From the page you've shown in your screenshot, you'll want to press the three dots over on the right and you should then see a "Remove" option:

20-09-xrvly-qpghn

Once this is done, customers in the UK should not be charged VAT when making a purchase on your store. Please try this and let me know if you experience any issues.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 4

Hi Victor,

Is there any update on fixing the coding error in Shopify for international sales?

When "my prices include VAT" is checked, the base export price should calculate = domestic price / (1 + dom VAT rate).  But Shopify maths is wrong and it continues to include the domestic tax when selling to an international customer.

We need this fixed ASAP!

thanks

Andrew

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
571 51 138

Hi @WoodyBrighton,

Thank you for getting in touch. If your prices are set to be tax-inclusive, customers placing an order from a region where you do not charge taxes will still pay the full listed price of the items in their order, albeit with a tax rate of 0% being shown during checkout and in their order confirmation. At this time, it is not possible to have your taxes included in the prices of the product and then have customers in non-taxable regions pay less for the order (without the use of an app such as Multi Country Pricing).

I know that the ability to do this within Shopify is a popular feature request and our development team have been made aware. I will be sure submit your feedback as part of this request.

Kind regards,

0 Likes