Regional Support: Taxes (UK)

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
611 54 150

Hi @WoodyBrighton,

The issue you and others have referred to is a design in our tax system and I have confirmed with our taxes team that this is intended behaviour, not an unexpected error. I do of course appreciate why this is problematic for merchants operating in countries where prices are tax-inclusive who also wish to sell internationally, and have submitted numerous pieces of feedback to our development team as a result. As a member of our support team, I am able to communicate issues and requests I hear firsthand from merchants but my influence is limited. At this time, I do not have an update on when or if this change will be made, but if I learn of any developments I will be sure to post in this thread with information as it becomes available. 

Shopify does not intend to force non-Plus merchants onto our enterprise plan, and the platform available to merchants through our standard plans is not going to be made unavailable. Rather, the platform continues to evolve with new features and improvements over time. Shopify caters to both small and large businesses and there would be little sense in denying use of the platform to the many SMEs that use the platform to run their businesses. 

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 5

It is incredibly frustrating that my shop based in the NL will now also lose customers in the UK after Brexit since they will have to pay VAT (and Shopify can't work out a system that deducts VAT at check-out).  The same anger my US customers voice every time they have to pay VAT.  By viewing other threads, I see this issue has been brought up for several years.  I don't think your 'Tax Team' fully understands the cost to SMALL businesses.  I will also ask that this be escalated. All the apologies in the world won't help a struggling business during corona-times.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
611 54 150

Hi @thebluehound,

Thank you for your candid feedback and I appreciate the frustrations that this issue can cause. Whilst I also understand that this is a long term feature request, I do know that our development team are aware of the requests we've had to make selling internationally easier for UK and EU-based merchants, and my colleague Cole from our product team provided a brief update on the situation here. As he mentioned, Shopify hopes to offer merchants greater control in terms of international prices and taxes in 2021, and this is something currently being looked into and worked on. I will be sure to stay personally updated with new features when they come and will communicate any changes here, as I know there is significant interest.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 0 5
Thanks and while I can appreciate the thought, 2021 is a long ways off....especially after many years of requesting a simple change. I will guarantee that in 3 months, many of us will be out of business. These are COVID times. While you focus your attentions on US accommodations, you’ve almost always ignored you EU customers. You and your team can take pleasure in your lack of attention to your EU customers. Yes, if we were larger companies, we would certainly move to another way of selling. We thank Shopify for their continued non support over the years.
0 Likes