Regional Support: Taxes (UK)

RobS
Shopify Partner
20 0 7

Hi @Stefano555, as far as I can work out you would need to register in the UK for VAT as soon as you take a sale that requires VAT to be collected - I don't think the 12 month sales threshold that UK businesses have applies. I know it sounds crazy!  Check with your accountant though as I am a mere business owner and not a tax advisor

What we think we will do, once the Brexit situation becomes clearer (if it ever does!!) and hopefully the COVID border problems sorted, is sell to our EU customers using the Duties and Taxes Paid services offered by our shipping company. It's going to cost a load more to ship to Europe but that way our customers will pay everything up front to us, we don't need to worry about ex-VAT prices on the website or the 150 euros / 135GBP limit....we just need to build in the extra costs we will incurr into our shipping rates. It won't be economical for EU customers to place small orders with us anymore as the shipping we will be charging will be a lot, but the mix of products we sell has quite a lot of high-value items and the impact of higher shipping costs on these should be less noticeable. Each store is going to have to look at their own product mix, average sale value and market to decide what way is going to work. DTP might make no sense for some stores.

0 Likes
thebluehound
Excursionist
39 0 8

So my confusion continues.  I'm based in the NL and sell primarily to EU countries.  With the new tax option, my checkout still shows a dutch 21% BTW/VAT collected as a component of the check-out product price (individual webshop products are priced tax inclusive and only at check out is the tax shown as a component of the price).  I am a small company, so do no more that €35,000 in any EU country, therefore, I thought that I collect all of the VAT and submit to the Dutch gov't regardless of which EU country my customer is based.  Is this not right?

As for the conversations about various tax rates within the EU (selling EU to EU) not showing correctly, is this in reference to larger companies that sell more than €35,000 per country?  This is one thing I'm not really understanding.

Selling outside at the EU (excluding the UK), with the new tax option, the price shows reduced only at check-out but with a note saying the price has changed to not include tax.  Is this allowed for an EU based company?  Can prices 'just be different' at the end without showing a line that reflects the VAT being deducted?

The UK, what can I say.  I will sadly just had to block sales to the UK.  For a small company, its way to complicated for me to deal with.

Thanks, Joe

0 Likes
Stefano555
Tourist
4 0 3

Hi

yes, for the first issue, you are doing correctly. Regarding distance-sales (whether online or not) EU countries have agreed that under certain annual sales thresholds (each country has its own threshold) a EU company of the country X selling to a non-VAT customer in a EU country Y is allowed to charge on the invoice the VAT of the country X. If, on the other hand, the total annual sales in the country Y are above the country Y threshold, then, exclusively for the sales above the threshold, the company  in the country X has to register for VAT in the country Y, has to invoice the VAT% of the country Y and has to transfer the VAT collected in the country Y to the tax authorities of the country Y.

Regarding selling out of EU, either a company sells to a vat-customer or to a non-vat customer, VAT does not apply : no VAT value has to be invoiced. So it is up to you if to adjust consequently your online selling price or not.

Regarding UK, it is a mess. For sales above 135£, UK says that the local tax authorities will claim to the local UK non-vat customer the custom duties and the VAT. How they will do this, I think nobody knows. Imagine the amount of work that is!

For sales under 135£, UK wants any non-UK company to collect the VAT  directly from the UK customers. This is why they ask for UK VAT registration. So the non-UK company selling into UK will have to collect the VAT from the final customer and then transfer the VAT amounts to the UK tax authorities. If you are a small company that is a big constraint.

FrancescaVivida
2 0 0

Hello,

I have tried reaching out through Shopify chat service for help with the below situation, but the app solutions presented do not do what we need to be tax compliant in the UK.

Our problem is that we sell on our store both Adult and Childrens product. Adult sales is subject to 20% VAT, children's 0%. If in a sales order 2 items are sold, 1 adult, 1 child, VAT should be applied to the shipping cost. If only a Childrens item is sold, tax should not be applied. After going through all of the settings in the back-end, and speaking to a shopify help desk representative, I couldn't find a solution. 

Do you have any suggestions for apps that could handle this, if Shopify cannot? On a monthly basis I am receiving complaints from our Accountancy team that we are not currently compliant for these sales, and I really need to find a solution. There are retailers that have been able to set this up correctly in the UK trotters.co.uk being an example of this.

Apps already suggested by shopify helpdesk: 

On the other hand, to make this happen like on the other shop you can use third party applications like Advanced Shipping Rules or Tax Exempt Manager.

Thank you!

Francesca

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
955 83 224

Hi @FrancescaVivida,

Thank you for getting in touch and for detailing your situation. I have reached out to our taxes team on this, and they have told me that Shopify's automated tax system should know how and when to apply shipping taxes to an order dependent on the taxable items in the customer's cart. For example, if you set all of your children's clothes to be non-taxable, no tax should be charged on shipping at checkout. If your customer orders a mix of adults and children's clothing, the amount of tax charged on the order's shipping will be proportionate to the taxable and non-taxable products in the cart.

I hope that explains things, but please let me know if you've more questions.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
FrancescaVivida
2 0 0
Hi Victor,

An added level of complication is that these products are only zero-rated in the UK, we are also registered for Tax in Germany, and these products are not zero-rated there.

I have not selected the setting you have suggested for this reason.

Thank you!

Francesca
0 Likes
SafeHands36
Tourist
10 0 1

Hi Victor

I think I have the same problem but opposite way round to Francescas! 

We are a UK company only selling to the UK.  We have some items which are not Taxable, and some items which are.  If the shopping cart contains non-taxable and taxable items VAT is added to the shipping charge correctly.  However, as soon as you take the Taxable item out of the cart VAT does not get added to the shipping charge.  What do I need to do to rectify this?  I should always be charging Tax on shipping regardless as to the tax treatment of the item in the cart. 

Please help!

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
955 83 224

Hi @FrancescaVivida,

Okay, I see. As far as you know, does this mean that customers in Germany should be paying taxes on children's clothing, and also paying taxes on associated shipping costs when ordering children's clothing?

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
955 83 224

Hi @SafeHands36,

Thank you for outlining your situation. Do you require taxes to be charged on shipping regardless of whether the item(s) in the cart are taxable or not? Or does the situation you've described only arise when the customer adds both taxable and non-taxable items in the cart, and then once the taxable item(s) are removed, the shipping taxes are removed when they should be kept? I just want to make sure I fully understand what you want to happen, and what is happening.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
SafeHands36
Tourist
10 0 1
Hi Victor

Thanks for getting back to me. We require taxes to be charged on shipping regardless of whether the item(s) in the cart are taxable or not.

0 Likes