Why does my Shopify sales report include cancelled transactions?

rocketdigital
Tourist
9 0 19

When I go to Analytics > Reports > Finances > Total Sales

This gives me total sales for the time frame, be it cancelled, refunded etc. Even when i download the report, there is no column that has been cancelled or delivered so this report is useless for me.

For example, if my store did 50 sales and 25 were cancelled, the report still shows 50 sales.

Am i doing something wrong, how do i get the accurate picture of the sales?

Replies 7 (7)

CloudlabSam
Shopify Partner
526 42 85

Cancelled orders should fall into the returns bucket. So Gross Sales is inclusive of all 50 sales, but Net Sales is only for the 25 sales which were not refunded.

rocketdigital
Tourist
9 0 19

We take orders on COD option (Cash on delivery) which means that the customer can place an order and pay when the order reaches them. However in what you explained, if we cancel a COD order there is no refund as we never took the money and hence even the cancelled order is shown in our net sales.

CloudlabSam
Shopify Partner
526 42 85

Got it. But in your situation, the order will still count towards gross sales. Let's take two examples:

Order Number        Status             Gross Sales         Returns          Net Sales

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order #123              Paid                       100.00               0.00               100.00   

Order #124              Cancelled               75.00              75.00                  0.00   

Totals                                                      175.00              75.00              100.00

I'm sure there's something I don't understand about your situation. If you could help me understand that would be great - seems like an interesting problem. Feel free to message me privately if you'd rather.

rocketdigital
Tourist
9 0 19

The issue is that at the base shopify plan, there is no option to filter out the cancelled orders from the report. I feel that these are very basic features without which ecom reporting makes no sense. The alternative I have found is to download all orders from the order section and then in the spreadsheet, there is a column that displays cancelled orders.

CloudlabSam
Shopify Partner
526 42 85

Our free app Report Toaster could help - you can filter on any field. Please feel free to check it out and let us know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Report-Pundit
Trailblazer
303 11 20

Hello @rocketdigital ,

Report Pundit has the option to filter out the canceled, paid, pending orders from sales reports. Also, Report can be sorted in ascending or descending order.

We can create business-specific custom reports.

You have 14 days of free trial. Our live chat support experts will create reports for you instantly. Contact us at support@reportpundit.com

Report Pundit - Instant reports and custom dashboards
BeProfit_App
Shopify Partner
75 1 4

Hey @rocketdigital  - I totally agree, having the ability to filter out your cancelled orders and view data for your open orders only is a pretty basic feature that you (and all ecommerce store owners) should have access to. Luckily, you can use BeProfit - Profit Tracker to effortlessly filter your order data and show precisely which orders you wish to focus on (and much more).

Beyond that, the app gives you the power to:

• View your data on a per-order and per-product basis (This is most relevant to your question)
  • Create and export custom reports (Also relevant! You can even schedule your custom reports to be emailed to you automatically.)
  • Track your profit history over time
  • Get intuitive visuals and graphs
  • Freely edit your store's data
  • Understand complex business metrics
  • Connect metrics once with smart integrations
  • Spot what factors need improvement to increase profits
  • Make data-driven decisions to optimize your store

Try BeProfit and let us know if you find it helpful. Plus, if you have any suggestions on how we can improve the app, we're always happy to get feedback! Good luck