Sales Tax for In Store Pick-up

2 0 3

Can someone from Shopify weigh in on this bug? Has this been fixed?

https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-point-of-sale/t/no-option-to-collect-retail-sales-tax-for-in...

3 Likes
Tourist
7 0 4

I would also like an answer to this. We frequently have customers that live out of state that purchase wine for in-store pick-up and it defaults to their billing zip code tax rate. This is a critical piece of functionality that I'd greatly appreciate seeing implemented into the platform.

It causes us to lose money when these pop up.

2 Likes
Tourist
10 0 2

Similar problem for us - we don't have a brick-and-mortar location, nor do we ship to the billing address. We deliver everything locally to vacation homes that are rented by people all over the country. 

Really we just need to force a single (local) tax rate and skip the whole concept of shipping adress. 

Any way to do it?

2 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2

I need this feature as well. Is there a solution?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Plus one more for this issue.... And it's such a simple fix, when Local Pickup is selected, then Sales Tax needs to be collected per the store's physical location. 

1 Like
Excursionist
13 0 1

Did you find a solution to this problem, yet?  I have the same issue. As a Washington state online business, as of 7/1/19, I now need to charge all customers including my nonresident customers our local sales tax when they pickup locally.

Shopify, please help with this. 

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 2
I have not found a solution. Still looking... :/
0 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 1
Darn! The only work around I can figure at this time is to have my
customers email me what they want, then build a draft order changing the
shipping address. What a pain!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2
It is a pain... There are shipping apps and Shopify developers that can
code in a *checkbox* into your theme on the Shopping Cart page that says,
'Local Pickup - Store Location', and that function would pre-fill your
customers' shipping address to your store's physical address at checkout.
This way, Shopify would calculate your physical store address and not
theirs; however, you would need to let your customers know to not change
this shipping address when they checkout. Also, you would need to force
customers to view their shopping cart before checkout. Some Shopify themes
allow direct checkout and if you implemented this feature, customers would
miss this checkbox that you have coded into your theme.
1 Like
Excursionist
13 0 1

Thanks so much for your reply.  Inelegant, somewhat expensive, and potentially problematic solutions to what should be a simple fix.  When we enable local pickup, we should be able to choose to apply tax at our local rate. 

Shopify, more states are going to be instituting the charging of sales tax on nonresident customers ordering online but picking up locally. We need an easy and affordable solution. 

0 Likes