Sales tax issues outside of my state not being applied! Help! Have tried all the suggestions so far

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 4
Help!! My store is only charging sales tax to customers in Colorado. It’s on automatic but not working! Any direction would be appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Expert
225 27 32

Hi, have you checked on your setting taxes if you have any state override? or your tax regions have been set up properly?

If you want we could have a deeper look for you. Just write us at info@webmefy.com and we would love to help you.

We help you achieve your Goals! Visit us on: Webmefy.com
0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
344 36 93

Hi @ResoluteCBD,

Thank you for getting in touch. Generally, the Shopify tax system will only charge sales tax to US customers in states where you have a presence that is inputted into Shopify's tax settings. I would presume that your store's address is based in Colorado, meaning that the system recognizes that you have a tax nexus here and is charging Colorado-based customers accordingly.

If you do not have a tax nexus in a state, you likely won't need to collect and pay sales taxes for orders placed from that state. A nexus is usually defined by having employees or locations in a state; we've more information on how this is defined here. We also offer a more comprehensive explanation of setting up US taxes on Shopify that you may wish to check out.

Do you have other locations or employees working in other states, or are you and your business only based out of Colorado?

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 4

Thank you for all your help, I would suggest that anyone who needs Shopify help contact these guys! so helpful and prompt

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 4

These guys are fantastic! Use them for any Shopify questions. 

1 Like
Highlighted
9 0 0

Would like some additional help here.

We have an Economic Nexus in 46 States.  Only 12 of which require us to collect State, County and Local.  The other 34 States we only need collect the State Tax.

I've scoured the forums looking for a solution to this and I cannot locate one.  The Tax Override settings don't work for anything but a specific zip code.

Surely Shopify doesn't expect us to enter all of the Zip Code in every State to calculate an override.  There are 39,917 zip codes in the USA.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 4
Hi,

I had the same problem! I got some help and what you need to do is enter each state as a physical presence, you only need to enter one zip code per state. It literally took me 20 minutes. I printed out a list of all states and zips and just put them in. I hope that helps’ and make sure “automatic is checked”

Resolute CBD
0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Resolute - 

I've entered one zip code per State and have all 46 set up.  But, for example, for New York we should only be charging the State Tax - not the County and Local.  I've entered a Tax Override for New York, but the override is not applying Statewide - it is only applying to the locality for the zip code I used.

Thoughts?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 4
Yes, I ran into this as well, I actually have no idea and have decided for now it’s ok, at least for me. I’ll have to see if they don’t generate. I don’t have the answer to that.....
1 Like
Highlighted
9 0 0

@Victor Can you help with this?

0 Likes