Sales tax issues outside of my state not being applied! Help! Have tried all the suggestions so far

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
423 39 114

Hi @R_Reno,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. As @ResoluteCBD said, adding a ZIP code from the state in question should configure the taxes correctly. In terms of the New York issue you mentioned, do you have the "Applies to all counties and cities" option enabled for the override? I believe if you have this enabled it should apply this override on a state-wide basis.

Here's a screenshot of an example from my test store:

20-04-nbvfn-aa0n1

Please let know if it's still not working as desired once this option is enabled.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

@Victor

Thanks for getting back to me.  This is such a perplexing set up. Yes, and when the box is checked for "Applies to all counties and cities", the tax rate is overridden and charged flat across all State, County and Local taxes.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.32.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.33.13 PM.png

Another thread that I read through suggested I check both the County and City Level.  This change nets the same result:

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.38.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.41.33 PM.png

From what I'm reading, this is a major issue for everyone who doesn't have the Plus level and has multiple Economic Nexus requirements.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
423 39 114

Hi @R_Reno,

Okay, I see. To clarify, do you want all orders from New York to have the 4% state tax applied, but no county/ city taxes alongside it? And this would apply to orders from anywhere in New York state?

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

@Victor 

Yes, as an Economic Nexus State where Destination-based Sales tax is collected, we need only collect State Tax.

Yes, 4% NY State Tax and no County/Local Tax for all orders in NY.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
423 39 114

Hi @R_Reno,

Thank you for clarifying that. I have just tested this on my own store and it seems to be working correctly—you can see here at checkout, only the 4% state-level tax rate as been applied:

20-04-ndeuu-0ib1p

I can check this is the backend too, in the Orders section. Both the county and municipal taxes were not charged:

20-04-rhp4s-tswmk

This is how I have the override set up in the backend:

20-04-8ko0t-4hjp8

Have you received real orders from New York-based customers since this override has been applied, and they've been charged too much tax? Or have you just been testing this? Also, if you'd be happy to share your store's URL here I would be happy to test this myself on the frontend of your store.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

@Victor 

Yes, we have overcharged several dozen customers before it was caught.  Please note the screenshots earlier in the thread - it is still charging all three levels.

We have 5 different Shopify Sites, but you are welcome to check it out on https://epure7cbd-com.myshopify.com/.

For now, I have NY set up as discussed.  I appreciate your help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
423 39 114

Hi @R_Reno,

Okay, thank you. I just went to your site, added a product to my cart and proceeded to checkout. When I proceeded there, the 4% tax rate is all that is being charged:

20-04-oiink-ls3pp

$2.36 is 4% of $59 so it doesn't seem like any other taxes other that the 4% New York state tax is being applied.

Have you tried this yourself? Are you seeing the other tax rates show?

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

@Victor 

Just did.  Went to the site to place an order as a customer.  Also set up a draft order - both with the same result.  I'm not sure why we are getting different results.  

Live Cart:

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.39.44 AM.png

Draft Order:

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.35.52 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
423 39 114

Hi @R_Reno,

Okay, thank you for sharing that. I'll need to take a closer look at this and to do that you will need to be authenticated on the account. As such, it's best that we continue this discussion over email. I will send an email to the email address tied to your forums profile—please look out for that and reply to me there.

Kind regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 4
I have actually figured this all out, thank you so much for your help!
0 Likes