Seeking advise: Shopify Payments US for non-US residents as well as American banks

3 0 0

Hello,

so I have read quite a few similar posts here regarding this topic, but my questions vary a little bit. So the first thing is that I am a resident in the Netherlands (non-US person) but I formed an LLC in the United States because I am only going to do business with American suppliers and with American customers. 

Setting up Shopify Payments NL was one of the first ideas but for that, I need a business number of the Dutch Chamber of Commerce. However, they told me that the Dutch tax office would deregister it because I am not doing any business in the Netherlands with Dutch customers and solely operating outside. My physical presence doesn't matter in that case. So the Shopify Payments NL option vanished.

1. Leaves me with the Shopify Payments US, which is generally better dealing with Americans. 
I already got my EIN, and of course, I have my LLC documents.  For many weeks now I struggled with getting Shopify Payments US gateway already. But without the physical US bank account, it is impossible. Ok, so I plan on getting that flight, fly over there to open one. Once I have that US bank account, as well as a business address in the US, my LLC documents Shopify,  can accept me for US Shopify payments even being a non-resident, correct?

2. This part rather deals with the experiences of non-residents who managed to run their US business from outside the US. What banks do you use, which ones can you recommend me? I talked the last 3 hours on the phone with the largest banks, but I am interested to hear experiences from people who used US banks for e-commerce purposes already.

0 Likes
3 0 0

UPDATE:
I have called all major and also smaller banks in the US and it is quite a mess to open a bank account as a foreigner. Dozens of hours on the phone have yielded no real results and sometimes I received conflicting information from bankers. Looks like I would need to take a chance to walk into a local branch and hope for the best. However, flying from the Netherlands with a limited budget on chance is too risky. Would still appreciate if someone had some insights.

However, there is a third question and possible solution maybe to avoid the entire US banks in my situation:

3. Since I am a resident of the Netherlands but own an LLC in America I could work with a third-party gateway that accepts my physical presence in the Netherlands AND my US company documents. What I experienced is that when you register an account for the Netherlands (like with Adyen) then you are stuck with giving Dutch business details. If I open a US account I am stuck with providing a physical US address. 
That is why I would love to know which providers are fine with having this borderless model. I wished Shopify had Transferwise, it would solve all my problems, but unfortunately, this is not a solution. So what else could I do?

0 Likes